Greetings, I'm Fritz from Austria, 23 years old and wet behind my ears.
After some years of doing nothing, I decided to do worldbuilding again. Once upon a time I drew a map of a continent. I lost most data, only the outline is still there, but I didn't take any projection and distortion into account, until I was stupid enough to decide that part of the continent is at the pole. When 'polar coordinates' in photoshop didn't work as I wished I went out to find a cartography tool that could do the job, and that's how I landed here. I found G.projector and ReprojectImage which should help me to get a general feel how it's going to work out, but I think I'll dig through all the different methods I found in the tutorials section.
In the end, I hope to find a way to create a 3D sphere with multiple linked/embedded vector files, similar to Google Earth, but I guess I have to look into really professional tools to do so - Cinema 4D will not do :(

For the time being, while looking through all the possibilities this site has to offer, I'll just start with a warm-up project of an island, probably with Photoshop.