Thread: The North

Guild Novice Facebook Connected sreynders's Avatar

Default The North

Hey guys,

The North is a map I made for a dungeons and dragons campaign I worked on with a few friends. Every player had his own continent to create to prevent complications when switching dungeon master.
    I choose a northern continent with a strong Viking feeling. The North is mostly populated by Humans and Dwarves, the main protagonists. Giants and icedemons live to the far north.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the north.JPG 
Views:	256 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	52523

The map I made is pretty basic. I made some sketches on paper first, then used Adobe Illustrator to finalize. There is one river the riverpolice will complain about (near Sigheim), totally my mistake! The scale is totally wrong...
    Alot of this is inspired by the Tolkien maps, ofcourse.
    Anyways, it was a fun little project.
    C&C very welcome!

Sander

ps: yay, first thread!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Simple but nice one. Just a bit disapointed with those fonts that are in my opision so overused on fantasy maps. Have some rep for a first nice map though

I like it. I guess the fonts don't bother me so much given the nature of the map - a simple Tolkienesque piece. Had they been on any other style of map I would tend to agree with Max's assessment though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

If you font have anything nice to say, font say anything at all.

/me runs away giggling like a little girl

It's a good, solid piece, like has been said.

I didn't even notice the font, before it was pointed out... and still, I guess I'm not overexposed enough to notice it. It's a basic Tolkienian font, I guess?

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. Yeah, the font really is too Tolkienesque. Probably because, at the time i created this map, i was going through some LotR maps on the internet for inspiration. I've created the map after a long pause in making maps (my first maps where made right after the first LotR movie came out, i was 12 at the time and just started with my first D&D group).. I'm researching alot right now to start making new and original maps. This place is the perfect place for feedback i guess! Thanks again!

Guild Journeyer

Hi,

Didn't notice the font before I read the posts ! I guess it fits the map style... maybe a bit too complex to be completely legible ?

Anyway, I would like to play in that D&D campaign... right in the frost.

PS : oh, un compatriote / een landgenoot

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I really like this. Nice, clean layout, great mountains! Good color scheme. The font doesn't really bother me very much, probably because the only place you do regularly see it is Tolkien maps.

Blog Entries

Lovely map, Sreynders.

I'll just refer you to Diamond's post as he pretty much said exactly what I was thinking.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Thank you all for the nice comments! This really motivates me to start on my new project! Thanks for al the reps!
    @mornagest: Landgenoot mijn frans is echt slecht!