Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Stormwatch -- 4E WIP

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

They look good to me. I'd not take them right out to the edges - some of the ones at the side must only have half a tree on top as they don't have any overhanging green!

I'd also suggest a drop shadow under the forest, behind the trunks. It should look darker as you see under the forest edge, through the trunks. Otherwise - nice. Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    They look good to me. I'd not take them right out to the edges - some of the ones at the side must only have half a tree on top as they don't have any overhanging green!

I'd also suggest a drop shadow under the forest, behind the trunks. It should look darker as you see under the forest edge, through the trunks. Otherwise - nice. Good work.
    I agree totally. The small picture looks good and the scale is good when compared to the mountains in the background. Just be careful when you add shadow so you don't overtake the trunks..

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

thanks torstan, joejr ... i was waiting on the shadow till i got the trunks down... one thing at a time people... my overdeveloped mind is attuned to things you could never imagine and therefore can only accept one thing at a time or my head might actually explode .... kidding of course

here's a tip for anyone tho who might care.... concerning scale and mountians... especially mountains in this type of iso map.... best tip I ever learned when drawing hand drawn mountains is never really consider the scale of the mountains your drawing, they don't actually represent each and every mountain. (as long as you don't go into ridiculous extremes) For some reason this helped me way back in the beginning when I had such trouble on drawing mountains.

Hopefully ... that made sense thanks for the tips tho guys that is why I love this place

Forests done... trunks done... shading done ... i hope.

My hills however SUCK ..... I think that the background may have to be redone a bit or perhaps my hills need to be redone.... feedback would be appreciated...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stormwatch_Environs7.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	4739  

I don't see anything wrong with your hills that couldn't be fixed with making them a little bigger/taller -- and coloring them similar to the way you colored your mountains. Maybe kind of a greenish... goldish (to match your background) color?

And the trees... They're just not doing it for me. I'm afraid they look too flat to me. Too... much like a carpet with legs.

::FLEE!::

I like the idea of a darker goldish color to the hills.... to a greenish/gold for the lower 'rolling' hills as it were...

Nuh-uh!! carpets don't have legs, everyone knows they only have elbows...

I'm trying to find my own 'style' ... so its a hit or miss... trial and error sorta thing...

No need to flee my friend... I accept all forms of critique and criticism... without it we cannot grow and exceed in ability

Wip

don't mind the going out of the lines.. this is just a quick color test for the hills....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stormwatch_Environs_hilltest.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	4740  

I'd suggest changing the layer type on the hills to overlay (and perhaps keeping a low opacity normal copy above it) so that they blend into the map a bit more. Because they are small, they are actually a bit darker than the mountains because of the detail. This might help there.

You also need to sort out your rift. It stands out like a sore thumb as the only non-iso element.

And given you've been having a go at my maps on this, I'll cry hypocrit and ask for a scale

please refer to original post in the thread

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast