Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Stormwatch -- 4E WIP

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Wip The Stormwatch -- 4E WIP

As promised... I have joined the band wagon and started my own Point of Light 'campaign' ... this actually serves two purposes... My youngest (15) has had a fantasy world developed for a number of years now, Dinraven, which he writes short stories in and eventually plans to play D&D in ... I said.. why not, lets use your world to learn 4e and at the same time ... flesh it out and put some meat on it... so, now you are up to date.

This is a regional area we've named "The Stormwatch" a large tower atop the flat/tablelands looks over the region for miles... even seeing the mountains hundreds of miles away (Mountains are known as the Eversight) though you can see storms for miles.. it was called Stormwatch because it was a line of defense in the old kingdoms to warn of dangerous activities of orc armies, dragons, giants and troll kings....

I plan to use a small village (estimate 220-240 pop.) named Wolfdell, I believe you may be able to see its location on the map. A map of that village should be up in the town/city section shortly... Instead of hand drawing these ... i'm going to attempt to do these in either illustrator or PS ... I might go with Illustrator... just cause I like the program so much and I haven't had a chance to do a regional map with it.

Any glaring problems with the map?? RobA should note that the rivers all flow INTO the mountains... Everyone else should note they flow in the opposite direction of that...

Most of the top half of the map are rugged hills and foothills before it climbs into the Eversight Mountain chain. Wild lands fraught with danger and adventure....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stormwatch_Environs.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	4280  

Ooooh, I like it a lot. Can't wait to see some color on that!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Wip Little bit more

Well.. I put some color to it ... still have a lot of work to go, but thought I'd go ahead and update it...

Name:	Stormwatch_Environs2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	629.2 KB 
ID:	4352  

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    Well.. I put some color to it ... still have a lot of work to go, but thought I'd go ahead and update it...
    Very cool.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

Very nice mountains. I like the coloring so much! Keep it up...

ahh.. thank you friends... I wish I could claim soul responsibility for that style, but they were greatly influenced by Sirith and his tutorial http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1467 only his look much much better..

Wip

And some forests.... I kinda like this style.. might keep it... just so hard to find the right look....

Name:	Stormwatch_Environs3.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	907.2 KB 
ID:	4393  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looking good. I meant to mention this when you put up the pencil sketch, but watch out for those plateaus in the SE corner. You've elongated and flattened them because you've drawn them in an isometric style. However I'm guessing the area they cover is not a flattened oval if you were looking directly down from above. From the layout of the other elements it looks like you are mapping the areas as if you were looking down from above but mapping the contents of those areas with isometric icons. If this is the case then the plateaus need to be stretched vertically. If not then feel free to ignore this post! Otherwise, it is coming along nicely.
    Last edited by torstan; 06-17-2008 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    From the layout of the other elements it looks like you are mapping the areas as if you were looking down from above but mapping the contests of those areas with isometric icons. If this is the case then the plateaus need to be stretched vertically. If not then feel free to ignore this post! Otherwise, it is coming along nicely.
    tree trunks goooood.... no tree trunks baaaaddd.... heh...

Looking pretty good...

I think the bright colors of the forests kind of "yells" when compared to the muted colors of the background and the gray mountains. Perhaps it will come together more in my mind after you do some more placement though.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast