Thread: Want to draw Raisz-style maps

Help Want to draw Raisz-style maps

Hello y'all. I'm planning on writing a book about the backroads of Southern Utah. I want to include maps in the style of Erwin Raisz (Raisz Landform Maps). I need digital elevation maps that I can print out and trace to create hand-made oblique physical elevation maps. I tried Google Maps and Google Earth but neither allows you to choose your elevation, as far as I can see, and exaggerate relief. Can anyone help me?

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by eprobe View Post
    Hello y'all. I'm planning on writing a book about the backroads of Southern Utah. I want to include maps in the style of Erwin Raisz (Raisz Landform Maps). I need digital elevation maps that I can print out and trace to create hand-made oblique physical elevation maps. I tried Google Maps and Google Earth but neither allows you to choose your elevation, as far as I can see, and exaggerate relief. Can anyone help me?

Try looking for the USGS digital elevation maps (DEM) database, I think it is available for download but I'm not sure. If I remember correctly their files are in an .asc format, which can be imported and viewed with a mapping program like ArcGIS (similar free program is QuantumGIS). Though I'm sure there's some elevation pictures without having to get the programs yourself; try Unisys weather, they have grey-scale elevation maps of the states (Unisys Weather).

Shaded Relief – Home is an excellent place to start. Natural Earth has nice data and, as was pointed out, there are many 3D and contour resources available from the USGS web site.
    http://www.shadedrelief.com/plan_obl...an_oblique.pdf has good information on the sort of things that you're trying to do, if I understand correctly.
    Cartography and Geovisualization Group, Oregon State University has useful resources as well.

I downloaded a program called "MicroDEM" but it's operations are opaque to me. I can't seem to load any digital maps into it. Government maps are available in PDF format but MicroDEM doesn't seem to be able to use them. When I am able to load JPGs into it, I can't view elevation data.

Experts I've contacted advise me to buy an expensive mapping program then spend more money on DEMs tailored to it. That's what I'm trying to get around.

I've never been able to get MicroDEM to do anything like what I want. I tend to use Wilbur ( software ) to do things with terrain, mostly because I'm lazy. The GDAL software suite ( GDAL: GDAL - Geospatial Data Abstraction Library ) is an excellent format translator.

What areas and scale are you interested in doing?