Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RL Map!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Post RL Map!

I'm sketching out a map for a wedding invite (yes, mine) and thought I'd post it here for fun and comments. C&C welcome!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oxford.png 
Views:	154 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	4196

Big Congrats Torstan! I assume the members of the Cartographers Guild will be receiving out invitations electronically then?

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Congratulations! The map is clear and attractive. The kerning on your font gets a little crazy in places, especially the word "Ring" at the top. The ing are very close together, and the leg of the R pushes it away from the rest of the word. Add the road running right through that gap, and it just looks peculiar.

You may want to add a compass just in case someone gets turned around and doesn't know the local geography well.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Congratulations on the upcoming nuptuals!
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Mount Savage, MD, USA, North America, America, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group.

Will there be Cake?
    "The Enemy's Gate Is Down" - Ender Wiggen, Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card

Software Used- ME v16, My Hands 1.0, My Brain

All Maps are either Copyright J.L.Odom and Bardic Fire Studios or under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License (Note it applies to all countries even though it's United States)

I haven't been to Oxford in nearly 20 years, and I could follow your map, but then again I got knocked off my bike at the Charlbury and Linton RD junction the last time I was there, so it kind of sticks out, perhaps I shouldn't have had 2 Mann's Ales with my cheese.

Congratulations, and be careful crossing the road, I am sure that red head is still out there. SeerBlue

Thanks all for the congrats and the comments. Yes there will be cake, and of course the invitations are in the electronic post (cough).

Thanks for the catch on the road going through the text. The font does have pretty strange kerning, but I rather like it. I;ve fiddled with it in a few places but in this instance I'll let it slide.

Here's an updated draft:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oxfordMap.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	384.2 KB 
ID:	4208

Seerblue - yes riding a bike in Oxford is a bit of a death trap. It's the buses you need to watch for, they're on a mission.

Blog Entries

Congrats Torstan. You a student / Lecturer there then ? There are some fabulous buildings and interiors around the campus its like stepping into a Harry Potter movie set.

I did my undergraduate there along with my fiance so we felt it was a great place to go back to. Exeter College (our college) has a magnificent chapel based on Saint Chapel (sp?) in Paris. We're very lucky to have the chance to get married there.

Yes, the architecture is spectacular. We had Harry Potter being filmed over the back quad while we were there. It's also Tolkien's college, and the college Philip Pullman was at, and the one on which Jordan College is based. My fiance had Lyra's room in her 3rd year, so no shortage of fantasy history around college!

Blog Entries

That is amazing isn't it. I didn't go there but had friends there (different college tho). There is this awesome library somewhere - not the Bodlian but another which I think undergrads aren't even allowed into. I took a peek but wasn't allowed in either. It has the old candle sticks along the ends of pews / cubicles to read the books just like in old times though I don't think they light the candles there any more. I can believe that films shoot there its a real live step back in time. Even the common rooms are like working castle interiors - all the oak and chinz chairs and a real fire burning. I have been in plenty of castles but there you don't need to imagine what it must have been like.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 06-08-2008 at 10:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast