Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Astrosynthesis orbital collision detection

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    The skeptic in me wants to say "the planets are always in a particular configuration when something happens; it's only when you can predict something based on the configuration of planets that you'll have something there". Of course, this skeptic has been known to watch things like pro wrestling and the Jerry Springer show so be sure to take any such opinions with a grain of salt. Or a ton of salt.
    Research shows that 75% of all statistics are made up.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

If you want to stay true to physics then I would go with other planets and 2 moons. If you want to let magic rule the day, then I would talk about a "magical gravity" that allows the moons to "dance about one another" as the orbit the planet. If the moons are essentially orbiting each other as they orbit the planet that would give a lot of explanation about relationships and such and you can explain that the magics involved are what prevents the real physics from tearing the planet apart. Of course you wouldn't want to anger the gods because they might do just that.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    So...I'm depressed now by all this gravity talk...As a DM...what would you do...

Fake it with a good write up and talk of the power and wisdom of the gods to maintain such a delicate balance of moons around a planet?

Or change the 8 moons to something else like other planets in the system and maybe give my smallish planet two tiny moons?
    I'd do it the way I wanted and worry about justifying it later. Cosmology, after all, is one of those things that the players might never question, and if they don't challenge it, then it's right. Right?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    The skeptic in me wants to say "the planets are always in a particular configuration when something happens; it's only when you can predict something based on the configuration of planets that you'll have something there". Of course, this skeptic has been known to watch things like pro wrestling and the Jerry Springer show so be sure to take any such opinions with a grain of salt. Or a ton of salt.
    That's what he is looking for, seeing if there is any correlation. To put it in basics - no offence intended - if you put a magnet on a TV screen, the pattern formed on the screen is a four leaf clover type of effect. This surprised me when I did it as I was expecting a typical North / South configuration - remember the experiments with iron fillings?
    Well, when the planets align with these 4 "poles" then poo happens - that's the very basic theory, but as with every theory there are 1001 differenent things that can influence the idea

My stepdad used to gauge the stock market by running historical star charts and comparing them to stock market highs and lows, and then looking for similar star and planet configurations and buying and selling based on that.

So...I'm depressed now by all this gravity talk...As a DM...what would you do...

Fake it with a good write up and talk of the power and wisdom of the gods to maintain such a delicate balance of moons around a planet?

Or change the 8 moons to something else like other planets in the system and maybe give my smallish planet two tiny moons?

Basically, the 8 moons represent the 8 core deities of the world...and two of them are the mother and father figure of the world...so thats how the cosmology and pantheon WERE supposed to line up.
    Are you after realism or story? You could have the moons on the same orbital plane, with the same period of rotation round the planet, equally spaced, or near enough. I.E. N - NE - E - SE - S - SW - W and NW. Whilst this sort of set up is unlikely to happen in reality, it a fantasy world for a game you are producing here. If you do this then tides would be minimal, based purely on the size and gravitational force exerted by the larger moons. (and 1001 other things I have probably forgotten about - )

Blog Entries

Assuming that the moons are not all precisely alike and spaced equally then they would pass each other in their orbits. I always thought that once you had more than 2 of these object (presumably one being the main planet) then you have the classic "N-body problem" which I thought was impossible to calculate. Now I must be mistaken cos NASA go around making grand statements about Saturn and Jupiter so is anyone able to flesh out a bit how they can do it. Or is it their best guess via a super computer thrashing out a numeric simulation. Wasn't it true for example that they stated that some of Saturns moons in its ring system actually swap over orbits when they get close enough to interact ?
    My opinion is to the tune of "Hey theres 5 moons - got it, oh before anyone says to the contrary, theres no silly tides cos as DM I say so." and go with that approach. Its much easier than buying a super computer.

Guild Novice

Getting deeper and deeper - what was it that Status Quo sang - "down down deeper and down?"

It must be possible as the Jovian planets (Gas Giants) all have many moons, but at very different orbits. With different orbits come different sidereal periods (length of time to orbit the main planet). This means that every once in a while there will be an occasion where all, or at least many of the moons are on one side of the planet. This would have a catastrophic effect on the tidal system as the gravitational pull of, as you are using 8 moons we'll go with that. If you had 6+ moons on one side of the planet, then unless you had magnificently high mountainous regions, then that side of the planet would be awash with the seas.

This may influence you planet's design. In the case of the gas giants, it doesn't matter so much as they are so far away from the sun so the majority of planet is frozen gas, with the outer "shell" of the planet being ... liquid then gaseous gas (?). (Assumptions borne out by information sent back from probes, Cassini et al). But your world would be relatively more landed than oceanic in order to prevent civilizations getting obliterated every so often.

Many body problems - well there are many things that could influence a moon or planets orbit. meteors or passing comets are two possibilities that spring immediately to mind. There is a theory that the moon was the result of meteor strike on a newly forming planet earth, the Chicxulub Crater and pacific are two well thought of hypothesis. The scar left by such an impact would still be around.

At the end of the day, I doubt players would question any decision you make too closely, as long as it's not too far off the wall. I mean - have you ever heard anyone questioning the non-effect of the (invisible) black moon in the world of Dragonlance? (It's name escapes me - Lunitari, is one of them - anyway back to the point). I haven't heard of anyone even raising it as a point for discussion, let alone questioning it. And that was a professional published campaign.

Norm

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

YOu guys are a big boost to my pride here, thanks! I think I'll stick with the 8 moons thing...I'll make them all kinda far away from the planet for sure...I'll put some thought into it.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Well, the whole moon planet alignment thing could actually be a great story arc. Perhaps some type of prophesy deal with the seas rising up. perhaps the PC's can actually find some magic item that will stave off certain destruction.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

See, now you're talking!

See I have the ruins of an ancient civilization spread all over the world...Perhaps one of their temples contains a magical stone that keeps the moons in perfect alignment. Too cliche? Maybe I need to pay a visit to plotstormers.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

See, now you're talking!

See I have the ruins of an ancient civilization spread all over the world...Perhaps one of their temples contains a magical stone that keeps the moons in perfect alignment. Too cliche? Maybe I need to pay a visit to plotstormers.
    Exactly! And such occasional destruction every few hundred of thousands of years where there is a tidal wave several hundred feet high would be a great way to explain the presence of TONS of ruined cities throughout the world. Or, as you say, perhaps the past several cycles have been thwarted by some magical means. A key placed in a lock so to speak. And the key has been stolen and you now have a race against time to find and replace before destruction of half of the world. If you do decide to do this,you probably should go ahead and have a few precursor tidal waves getting progressively larger along with earth quakes and such to increase the tension a bit. Perhaps it's been so long that no one knows what the item is really for (including whoever stole it) and/or the prophecy is really vague and they have to go to various places to decode the prophecy. Or even have the prophecy split into multiple parts scattered all over the world, in addition to being cryptic. oooohhhhhh the posibilities!

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast