Thread: Canals in DD3

Post Canals in DD3

So, it's seems this would be the right forum to post this:

I am new, both here and to mapping software in general. I am currently using Campaign Cartographer 3 with the Dungeon Designer 3 and Symbol Set 2 add-ons. I've had some success in making overland maps which don't -entirely- disappoint me (although I'm still working on it), and just tonight started on my first dungeon map (which may be used for an online RPG campaign, if I can get all the details sorted out).

Which brings me to my question: I was attempting to make a map of a sewer system which had become connected to a catacomb. Anyway, I was trying to map a network of tunnels, about 10 feet wide; 5 feet on one side is solid ground, and the other 5 feet is a canal, a little more than 5 feet deep, through which runs a stream of murky water.

Now, I have the basic map, and I was at the point where I was trying to establish effects. I have it all working except I cannot quite figure out how to make the water look right-- or, rather, how to make half the floor lower than the other.

I thought I had come to a solution when I divided the hallway into two different floor styles and placed one of these floor styles on a "FLOOR2" sheet. I then gave this a bevel effect, expecting that it would appear to bevel down to the regular "FLOOR" sheet, and this appear to be a deep canal. No such luck-- I can see a bit of the bevel at the junction with the wall, but it still looks like my water is riding on top of my floor.

Hmm...as I type this, I realize I may have just figured out what went wrong with my first attempt. But I will post this nevertheless, in case anybody else has suggestions on how to make canals in DD3.

Thanks.

Hows about something like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CANAL TEST.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	4466  
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave