Thread: WIP Cliffside city

Wip WIP Cliffside city

Hello, nice to meet you all. First time I post some of my map-work on this site.

I'm working on this map atm. It's supposed to be a seaside town build against a cliff. Middleterranian style. Got quite some work in this one. All drawn on a wacom intuos 3 in photoshop. I'm not done yet, need to fill in the details. I always tried to do the old-style looking maps, and this is far from that. Which makes me wonder a bit about what to do with this one to give it a little extra. What to do with the legenda or framing. I'm also not sure if the cliffs work like this. Hope the seasoned creators on this site can shine their light on it and give an opinion and maybe some tips.

Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seatowncliffsideMK.jpg 
Views:	749 
Size:	836.2 KB 
ID:	52454  
    Last edited by MajorKira; 02-24-2013 at 07:27 AM.

Very pretty and clean style you have there. I would make the cliffs on the one side darker to give a bit more sense of depth perhaps.

Also as this seems to be a modern type map, a simple legend like you'd see on a tourist map or modern atlas might work best.

Thank you so much. I was indeed thinking of saturating the colours a bit and adding more shading. Going to play around with that and some papertexture in the background to see what happens.

Maybe it's just me but I have a trouble seeing this as a cliff city. Also, is it on TOP of the cliffs or at the bottom?

Check out some Fira maps (Santorini's city on the cliff top).
    Blog: Too much game lore? | Diablo 3 guest passes
    Riftforge: (WIP) Map of Rift Isle, protected by elite raiders ( Play now }

Both. It's build on plateaus. I guess I should get some more shading in to get that clear.

edit: the search function gives me nothing on Santorini or Fira... do you have a link?
    edit 2: A google got it.. it's a real city. Gets head out of fantasy-maps.
    Last edited by MajorKira; 03-02-2013 at 01:05 PM.