Thread: how to create the ocean effect in GIMP ? the Gaussian Blur couldn't work on my case

Default how to create the ocean effect in GIMP ? the Gaussian Blur couldn't work on my case

my document is too big for Gaussian Blur to blur it, so I am looking for some other ways to create ocean

i wish i can have this effect, Name:  Post1-1.png
Views: 649
Size:  94.5 KB

the original way from the tutorial thread doesn't go for my case

You might try Filters>Render>Clouds>plasma, play with the settings to get a fairly even texture and hit <OK>. Then use Colors>Colorize to give it an even blue coloring.

Then you just use the Dodge tool to lighten things around your coastlines. You can also use a larger brush to Burn some of the deeper areas.

It's just a thought although I'm more concerned with your inability to run Guassian blur. That sounds like you are on the wrong layer or something when you tried to fire it up. Unless you are seeing the bar begin and just hang because your machine can't handle it?

Anyway, hope it helps.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Adept Facebook Connected EricPoehlsen's Avatar

My suggestion:
    Create a copy of your map.
    Scale it to a size that you can work with filters without waiting forever or crashing your computer - if your map is 20000 x 10000 scale the copy to 5000 x 2500
    apply your filter, but only at 25% the desired effect - if you want to blur a 200px radius blur it 50px.
    Rescale to original size.
    Import as water layer.

Blog Entries

Yes that's a good suggestion. For some filters it wouldn't work (edge detect etc) but for blur it definitely would. There has been plenty of times I have reduced an image and blurred it less, resampled it back to original size and then gave it a very slight (and fast) blur just to account for the resample and they always look good.