Thread: Hello!!!

Post Hello!!!

Hello to all!

My name is Giancarlo, and I have used the gianky1 nickname now for a good eighteen years. For years, I have indulged in the creation of stories and many of these have some sort of mental map to them, so it was only natural that I would sit down and draw them. Needless to say, the first few tries came out to look like scribbles, but with patience I managed to make a few decent maps. I also discovered the ability to create detailed buildings, fortresses, and vehicles. What I cannot do is draw people, panoramas, animals, or plant life.

Recently I self published a short story that acts as the base for a larger saga that I am writing. Everything is set up in a world that I created, paying close attention to even the tiniest details like the tides, seasons, minerals, vegetation, etc.
    I know it sounds like a little too much, but it is my baby and I want it as perfect as I can make it. It is only natural that a map accompanies the full novel (even the short one could have used one), and for a long time I have worked to make one. The attempts have been hand-drawn, and it is my preferred method to create an initial map.
    Photoshop is a mess, and most of what I know is geared to making a book cover (I offered this to a few friends but everyone had an excuse not to help). Corel, I do not like. And Paint, well, it is what it is. Add to this I have limited time to sit down and write, much less draw a map, so it all felt destined to fail. Thankfully, I found the guild, and found a community of people who love to make maps. I thank you all for the many tutorials, and suggestions, many of which I have incorporated into my map designs. I can now make decent maps, quickly and efficiently, to serve as visual guides for story narratives. With more time, I have managed to customize GIMP with symbols and patterns that suit my maps, giving them a distinctive look in the process. And now I have completed the world map, with all coastlines and continents in place!
    I am happy and glad to have found this community and look forward to the future.

Happy map making and Hello!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Welcome and SHOW US the maps.

Please.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post
    Welcome and SHOW US the maps.

Please.
    Agreed.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh