Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite Fantasy bookseries

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thordred's Avatar

Default Your favorite Fantasy bookseries

Right, so we have "Your favorite fantasy world" here - http://www.cartographersguild.com/ge...asy-world.html

I'd like to know if you guys read much fantasy, and if you do, what is your favorite book/bookseries.

Mine is, so far, Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

What's yours?

The Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson is probably my favorite, though I guess we'll have to wait until I finally finish WoT.

Oh, I LOVE fantasy books. I've read so many I don't even remember the name of some. Anyway, from all the books I have read, the best is far the A song of ice and fire series, I'm so crazy waiting for the 6th book o.o

I also like the Drizzt series from R.A. Salvatore.

And no, I don't like the Lord of the Rings book, I find it boring to read and the story is too "slow". I kinda like the universe tough.

At the moment, I think my favorite is Robin Hobb's Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies. I don't care quite as much for the Liveship Traders, which takes place between those two series, but it's still quite good.

I've heard great things about Martin, but there's no way I'm starting another huge fantasy epic until it's finished. One Wheel of Time is quite enough, thank you. (20 years since I started that one!?)
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thordred's Avatar

Right now I'm reading The Sword of Shadows series by JV Jones.

Hm... I read about lots of swords don't I? ^^

I've liked some individual fantasy books, but the only series that stands out is A Song of Ice and Fire. I think that is because it is the kind of story I would write, had I any skill. It combines the elements I love creating in a fantasy world - complex cultures, politics, and history. And the conflicts are more personal or political, and aren't painted black and white; everyone is a shade of grey. And of course, George Martin is a talented writer. He describes things in a way that is sufficiently detailed but easy to read.

Every other series I've read has been lacking in some ways. I would love fantasy novels that read like something by Bernard Cornwell, but so far only ASOIAF has come close.
    "I AM THE LAW!"
    - Flaming Fist Mercenary

My Art / Photos / Maps

It can sounds a little bit clichê, but for me the best fantasy book series is still the one concerning all the Tolkien's LotR universe: Silmarillion, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Children of Húrin, Unfinished Tales (I guess that's the title in english). Yes, the LotR books (1,2,3) can be a little boring sometimes, I agree, specially the chapters of Frodo and Sam walking on the mountains.

Martin is doing a great job with the books (and HBO with the TV serie), and takes the 2nd place.

The best Series? Hmm tough joice. There are some really good ones.

Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen is superb.
    R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing comes very close to the MBotF.
    I really dig the world and characters in Michelle West's Sun Sword sixtet.

Martin is not bad either. He is a bit slow in writting the damn thing and his world is quite standard-ish fare. But his characters are very well written (i think nobody writes as good a dialogue as he does).

@ LS - Jebus : with your list of criteria why you like ASoIaF you should totally try out Erikson and/or Bakker. They both totally kick Martin's ass when it comes to complex cultures and history. Shades of grey is also very much how i would describe both stories. Give it a try.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

I'm definitely going to check them out. It is very hard to find good a book series simply because there are so many to go through.
    "I AM THE LAW!"
    - Flaming Fist Mercenary

My Art / Photos / Maps

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

Tough to decide on a single best fantasy series but I love the Deeds of Paksennarion by Elizabeth Moon, The Mistborn Triliogy by Brandon Sanderson and Drizzt by Salvatore

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast