Thread: Map needed for self-published author! Help!

Guild Novice

Map Map needed for self-published author! Help!

I have a relatively simple map that I can't draw to save my bloody life. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rouen map.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	52517

Hopefully the attachment worked. If not, I'll try just tossing it up on my website.

Anyway. I'm looking for someone to make a classic or fantasy style map for my next novel.

Guild Novice

i neglected to say that i'm a new member and can't access my PM's yet. so feel free to email me directly; dtemrick@sasktel.net

thanks again

I would be interessted if time is not a too pressing matter. Is there any more information about scale, setting, type of map (colour, b/w, atlas, hand drawn... )? Are features like cities, rivers and the like defined or is everything to invented? Perhaps you can point to some examples here on the site you are interessted in.

Guild Journeyer

Hi darkfox, maybe you could give a look at these guidelines when requesting a map, it could give you some good tips on defining your project...

Here is the link http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...e-read-me.html

Good luck with your projects.

Guild Novice

Sorry, I would have replied sooner but I've been busy promoting my latest book and my kid got sick for a bit.

Anyway.

This is "Paid" work, meaning that I have a very tight budget and I need something specific which I need to retain the rights on. The price is negotiable within reason. Please keep in mind this is joe blow, not Random House.

The map is roughly the scale of France and Germany. There's a large continent with a mountain range to the south seperating it from an arctic region. Two large islands administered by nearby provinces with a smattering of small islands, most not visible at this distance. I will provide the artist with more detail during our conversations.

What I'm essentially looking for is something gritty, maybe even a little steampunk, done in black and white but suitable for print. 8 inches high by 5 inches wide.

The work will end up being put into my next novel, which is still a work in progress. Though because of that I will need the copyright for the map, but the artist would be welcome to use it as part of their portfolio, though obviously not for commercial gain.

If there are any questions or clarifications needed, just ask.

You can PM me here, hit me up on skype or email me directly dtemrick at sasktel dot net

Thanks.