Thread: An-Talahm, a Dieselfantasy World

Guild Applicant

Map An-Talahm, a Dieselfantasy World

This is not my first map, but it's the one I'm most proud of.

I did this map using the Ascension style tutorial

An-Talahm is not overly original, I admit it. It's just a "theme park" fantasy world, in Dieselpunk style: you can find your British Empire look-alike, or France with its fairy-like people, Turkish Jinns, an overly Randian U.S.A. and so on.

Positivism, science and progress are all that matters in these days. Magic is important too, and allows people to build wondrous machines. An-Talahm has an anomalous magnetic field, scientist learned to use this characteristic to build larger and even armoured blimps. In this world a blue sea fleet is not as important as a large aerial fleet of Airships, fighter planes and bombers.

The players in this setting will play as members and agents of the Svartberg Foundation. Created by the scientist and philanthrope Alfred Svartberg 2 years after the end of the apocalyptic "Great War", the Foundation is something in between a more successful sister of the League of Nations and the Nobel Foundation. Everywhere there's a problem, there are Svartberg agents trying to solve it. They have access to the best equipment and resources avalaible, and often they will be supported by the host nation. Of course there are people (and sometimes nations) who are openly antagonistic, and that's where you get the villains.

The world, as you may notice, is not entirely explored (by Umbran peoples to be honest), that is because An-Talahm is a lot more dangerous than our world. Dinosaurs still roam the southern continents, and strange sorceries protect native empires from the colonial armies. What would be the equivalent of the Amazonian Forest is "actively" resisting every attempt at exploitation.

Yet the northern nations have built durable footholds in those countries and are pushing forward.

There is evil to fight, man-made and supernatural, secrets to discover and adventures to live. But more importantly there are dark forces at work. Deep in the jungle of Djambala, ancient kingdoms fell to the "Enemy", corrupt men work day and night to destabilize Umbran countries, the Mazonas forest grows more restless every day.

Dark Forces who were made more powerful by the senseless bloodshed of the Great War.

Dark Forces that the Foundation was built in secret to fight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mappacompleta3.jpg 
Views:	497 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	52522  

Guild Apprentice

Cool map Ros...makes me think of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow with the stylized plane in the border and the use of the Julian calender time keeping for the years...very "alternate earth" in concept. I really like it.
    Last edited by Waynan7; 03-31-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typos, etc

Nice work! I like the unashamed tweaked-real-world flavor. Will we see more of this world, or is the map a standalone work?

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Looks good, interesting idea.

Like the Deco border, definitely captures the style you are after. Lovely work, and great concept for a campaign!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Very nice...
    Like the art-deco vibe. In this kind of alternative history context, it would be quite cool to have references to colonies / empires types of settings.