Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Young Kingdoms

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default The Young Kingdoms

A semi-random map done mostly to try out some new mountain and tree brushes that I made based on some maps by Blaeu. The parchment background is one that Torstan kindly posted here a while back, color-edited and combined with some other grunge filters. Font is called Windlass. The rhumb lines are courtesy of Schwarzkreuz.

Many names are recycled from my other maps, cause, well, that's how I roll.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheYoungKingdomsFinal.jpg 
Views:	13643 
Size:	3.28 MB 
ID:	52531  

Looks great, especially the new Mt brushes, they blend in very nicely.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I love it, very nice and clean job as usual and this font is a lovely one. Have some rep to please my eyes
    Last edited by - Max -; 02-28-2013 at 03:57 AM.

I totally dig the flags (why do i have Sheldon in my ears with his "Fun with flags"-videos ?!)!
    Not sure i care much for those mountains. They look more like waves or hills to me.

The overall look and feel of the map is great though.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Novice Facebook Connected sreynders's Avatar

I like it. I love the elements you used (mountains, forests, etc). The gradients in the flags are a little big too obvious though (imo).

Blog Entries

Lovely map, Diamond. Your new elements work really well.

If I had to nitpick though I really don't like the gradient you've used on your flags. The rest of the map looks nice and aged whereas they just look digital.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I totally agree with Ramah. A real style clash between the flags and the map, even though both are really well done, they don't belong to each other. You can try filtering the flags using this tutorial:
    Lunacore Photoshop Training - Photo to Line Drawing tutorial

Your maps are always stunning for clarity, but may this time it might be worth dialling back the pure black on the mountains to a dark brown so they aren't so colour dominant?

best

Ravs

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

it took my eyes a while to adjust to the colours - i automatically kept on assuming the dark areas were the land, rather than vice-versa even though it's pretty obvious its the other way round! nice colours and the mountain brushes are nice (dont think the black to bad at all, though a dark brown might be better.

I agree about the flags - as this is still WIP i dont know what you have in mind for them but theyre far too crisp and clean. they need some noise and grunge or maybe should be moved beneath the paper layer to make them fit in with the map. as they are they just look like theyre a seperate thing

Hmm, I like your map, I must try doing mountains like this one day. Also the drawing above the scale bar is really impressive - I found it really, really cool .

But I have to agree with Ramah, the flags don't fit like the rest of the map.

I say make the land outline and rivers darker and harder in color to match the bloody fine mountains you have there!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast