Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A summer camp in Maine - real world commission

Map A summer camp in Maine - real world commission

Hello all,

I was commissioned last year by Alford Lake Camp to create a map of their amazing summer camp for girls and I've been waiting for them to go public with it before I shared. Just received the annual news bulletin with the map featured on page 11, so here you go. I was really excited to work on this project because I spent the first 15 summers of my life at this camp (second half as a camper). It was great fun remembering all of the details from growing up there, though I had to reference photos for some of the more recent changes.
    They asked for a digital watercolor style in full color without labels (just their title/logo) that they could use for print at various sizes and to incorporate on their website at some point.

Hand drawn and painted in Photoshop using an Intuos4 drawing tablet.
    Full size: 18 x 24 inches @300ppi. (Shared size: 25%)
    © Kaitlin Gray 2015 - Reproduction rights shared with Alford Lake Camp.

Hope you like it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ALC map colored 25prct kaitlingray.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	82335
    Last edited by Chashio; 01-15-2017 at 05:02 PM.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Nice work. Interesting to see a camp like that from above. They have one similar in my area where they take the entire 5th grade class every year, only it is in the mountains. It is called Camp Silverton because it is near a bunch of old silver mines that were started sometime around the 1870s or so.

That looks wonderful! I love to see real world maps occasionally. You did an excellent job on this! You can get a feel for the place with all the details like the people riding the horses and doing other activities.
    Did you draw all of the trees individually?
    Very deserving of rep!!

EDIT: Aha, I was sniped.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Great map Chashio! Congrats on the commission, really cool where you have such personal connection there.
    Did you ever climb Mt Megunticook? Amazing views from up there.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

That's absolutely gorgeous! Hands down the best camp map I've seen. Perfect balance between detail and overall impression, will look fantastic at any size, and your coloring work is as always sublime. Bravo! Did they remember you?

That's the sort of map that sells enrolments. Hell, it makes me want to go there. Fantastic job.

This is really wonderful Chashio.
    So many nice elements in there - the building and boats, all the little campers
    I applaud that you did individual trees - I did a commission in february of a similar nature and did large forests of individual trees, so I really appreciate seeing that.
    I pretty much like everything about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    Nice work. Interesting to see a camp like that from above. They have one similar in my area where they take the entire 5th grade class every year, only it is in the mountains. It is called Camp Silverton because it is near a bunch of old silver mines that were started sometime around the 1870s or so.
    Thanks Tonnichiwa.
    Old silver mines... I bet they have some interesting stories. It sounds like fun country to have adventures in.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    That looks wonderful! I love to see real world maps occasionally. You did an excellent job on this! You can get a feel for the place with all the details like the people riding the horses and doing other activities.
    Did you draw all of the trees individually?
    Very deserving of rep!!
    Thank you Josiah VE - I'm glad you like it!
    Yes, the trees and everything else were all uniquely drawn with a pencil brush, one line at a time, and then colored.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great map Chashio! Congrats on the commission, really cool where you have such personal connection there.
    Did you ever climb Mt Megunticook? Amazing views from up there.
    Thanks Bogie! It was really great getting to work on it.
    Maybe (when I was 9 or 10)? Hmm. I don't remember. Guess I'll have to go back

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Very nice work Chasio!
    Thank you Max!

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    That's absolutely gorgeous! Hands down the best camp map I've seen. Perfect balance between detail and overall impression, will look fantastic at any size, and your coloring work is as always sublime. Bravo! Did they remember you?
    Thanks Lingon!
    Yes indeed - they're family but what's really impressive and wonderful is that they remember everyone who has been to camp there. It's truly a special place.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    That's the sort of map that sells enrolments. Hell, it makes me want to go there. Fantastic job.
    Hahaha thanks Falconius! Glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    This is really wonderful Chashio.
    So many nice elements in there - the building and boats, all the little campers
    I applaud that you did individual trees - I did a commission in february of a similar nature and did large forests of individual trees, so I really appreciate seeing that.
    I pretty much like everything about this.
    Thank you John.
    I do love maps with individual-tree forests. Have you posted that one yet?
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    I do love maps with individual-tree forests. Have you posted that one yet?
    Not yet - it's a weird situation...
    I was working through a 3rd party, and that has caused some issues with getting the copyright transfer done.
    They won't say who the end copyright holder is, so I can't complete the copyright transfer. Ugh.
    And they're in Ireland, so I can't really harass them to follow through. Not happy about that.
    This was one of my largest pieces, and quite cool too. And real world as well.
    I will have to email them again tomorrow. Not pleased about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast