Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Westerlands (Terra Solis)

Guild Novice Facebook Connected sreynders's Avatar

Hey guys and gals!

I'm getting alot of nice feedback from you guys. Never expected this much interest in my project! Thanks!

I totally agree about the coastlines being to much of the same along the continent, so my next step is to sharpen things up, making some coasts straight/curved instead of distorted, bring some contrast in there. I'm also gonna add some more small islands.

About the German dwarves, i've never planned my dwarves to be vikings in any way (they dont even wear beards). Their language is based on German, because I like the idea of humans and dwarves understanding eachother a little bit (since German and Dutch/Flemish are very simular in lots of ways). Dwarves still live in mountainous areas, but not underground. They build big castles and fortresses on key locations like mountain passes, taxing travelers for safe passage. They do have a lot of German characteristics though: a strong industry, well organised and a sophisticated bourgondian livestyle. They have perfected Gothic armor sets, crude muskets and mighty cannons. Plus i really need a medieval German civilisation in my world.

I've been working on country names last friday. Take a look and tell me what you guys think:
    Human kingdoms: Berinië, Brevië, Travië, Elusië, Makkedië, Zavelland, Dererijk, Zolteland, Oostdal and Westdal.
    Elven kingdoms: Petivalence, Foresse, Montile.
    These names need work, ofcourse. Most of the names are based on the names of cultures, rivers, mountains and other landmarks (e.g. The river Zolte flows through Zolteland)

Yesterday I picked up the Atlas Maior from my local bookstore for 50 euro. It's A3 format and weighs a ton. Did'nt really have the time to check it out to much, but what I've seen blew my mind. LOVING IT.

I had no time this weekend to work on the actual map though. So no pictures today!
    Thanks again for the input!

Sander

A quick preview before i go to bed. I changed alot of the coastlines, giving them a less ragged look. I added the main rivers and mapped some mountain ranges/hills (the brown spots). Its about time to start drawing mountains, trees and points of interest. I've missplaced my fine-liner pens, so, I'll start as soon as I find them!
    I'm not sure if I'm liking it thusfar... maybe because its going too easy at the moment. I dont want my map to look like a real continent and I dont really know if i'm getting there. Kinda feels like I'm just placing things at random.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	westerlands preview.PNG 
Views:	185 
Size:	700.2 KB 
ID:	52654

Anyways, C&C welcome!
    Last edited by sreynders; 03-05-2013 at 06:16 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Your attachment is an invalid link...

Hey guys,
    I have'nt been posting in quiet some time now, been pretty busy with work and friends... Most of the work i did is fluff, thinking up country names, family names, history, etc... not really writing things down though...
    I made some mountains and hills for you guys to check out! Its not much, but its something.

Name:	mountains and hills.PNG 
Views:	347 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	52877
    some general mountains, rocky shards, hills and bluffs. All made in photoshop and with a wacom bamboo.

more coming soon!

ps: is it me or is this site really slow to load?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sreynders View Post
    Yesterday I picked up the Atlas Maior from my local bookstore for 50 euro. It's A3 format and weighs a ton. Did'nt really have the time to check it out to much, but what I've seen blew my mind. LOVING IT.
    if it's the Taschen release, it really is a gorgeous edition.

i like those names. there's a particular feel and style to them that's unified.

Hey folks,

I'm here for a quick update on the mountaineering. Ive been using the templates i made in combination with the clonestamp. Its starting to look more like a map now, so thats nice. Im thinking of making more templates though, or just going over it with my wacom when most mountain ranges are finished, just giving it some final touches, taking away boring parts and whatnot. Anyways, mountains on the main penansula are almost done!, cant wait to put some woods down.

Name:	mountains 2.PNG 
Views:	193 
Size:	579.2 KB 
ID:	52900

Im starting to see the full scale of this project but for some reason the scale keeps me motivated!

@vorropohaiah - yes its the taschen release, its beautiful! Worth every euro!
    @max - thanks!

What's the size of the map?

Hey max, my map size is 84x59,4cm in 300ppi (9921x7016). I want to print it for my roleplaying group.

here's a quick pic of my map with some texture on it. Definitly not the final version of anything.

Name:	full westerlands.PNG 
Views:	594 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	52902

cheers!

Almost the size of my current WIP. Quite big, yea...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast