Thread: PS 7 Help - Expanding Layers / Masks to fill larger canvas.

Guild Applicant

Question PS 7 Help - Expanding Layers / Masks to fill larger canvas.

Hi guys, longtime lurker. I've been playing around with a map for 4ish years in photoshop 7. Recently I've decided I want to expand the map. The map is based on the Saderan Tutorial posted here a few years ago (for reference if needed).

My WIP is divided into layers for land, grass, forest, desert, etc. So you've got the layer's color and then the black/white mask. I want to extend the canvas size out a further 10 inches and I know the current layers / mask will stop at the edge of the old size. How can I expand the layers to fill in the gap so I can continue working? I'm almost postive I knew how to do it when I first started working on the map but as I spend less time on it I've forgotten.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not really sure what you want. maybe a visual would help. Anyway.. Of course, when you enlarge your canvas you should draw in a lot more map that you hadn't before. But maybe these can help you a bit on your way:

First: Did you already search for 'expand mask' or something similar in the photoshop help?

Well, you would use canvas size to enlarge the picture of course. (Not image-size)

The 'transparent 10 inch gap' you added/created now should be equal in all your layers. Then you can choose how to fill those in.

My photoshop has a feature 'content aware fill' (edit>fill) which is easy for not too detailed colour layers (like gradients etc)

I would also play around with: copying layer style, maybe to duplicate your masks for the larger layers.

Maybe reading this tread will help you in some way. There is a lot about the canvas there: Adobe Community: resize canvas to selection

More canvas centered discussion here too: http://www.bigresource.com/Photoshop...4LyLIS8u.html#
    Last edited by MajorKira; 03-02-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Guild Applicant

Edit - Fill was all I needed to do. Delete the old size, select all and bam I'm back in business... I knew it was a simple fix I just couldn't remember how to do it. Thanks for the help.

No problem. Sometimes I ramble a bit.