Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Continent map for commission

Wip Continent map for commission

OK, my big mapping commission project. I am really limited to what I can post, until the maps are complete, however, I can show you this early stage of continent development. The client desires an understated color scheme and in my digital mapping style using Xara Xtreme 4.0.

The client is limiting what I can show as WIPs and Finals, but he allowed me to show the following map at its start.

Although he of course loved my hand-drawn maps, due to the volume of maps he requires, he thought it would be more cost effective to have them created digitally, since its lots faster for me this way.

No mountains or rivers placed yet, just "Great Lakes" and "inland sea", the yellowish blob in the center is the region of "Great Plains", the brown to the northwest is "arid desert terrain", the raised areas are the wider bases where the major mountain ranges will go.

This continent is roughly the width of North America, a bit less than the north south axis in scale. The planet is about 2/3rds the size of earth. The continent is located on this planet's southern hemisphere.

The red line at the top of the map is the Equator, whereas the red line at the bottom of the map is the Antarctic Circle. Steamy and impenetrable jungle along the Equator (filled with dinosaurian creatures), and snowy tundra near the arctic circle.

WIP so far...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	continent-early-map.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	4306  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Nice style and very different to your usual. I'll miss your hand drawn stuff....when are you going to get a commission to do a Hiroshige or Hokusai style map?

Wip Next try...

OK, the next rendition of this map. I'm trying some new techniques with the forests and slight adjustments to my mountain (more feathered edges and a fractal clouds transparency effect to the forests.)

Ravs, I will try to squeeze some more Hokusai map objects in this summer.

WIP so far...

Name:	commish.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	4347  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

I like the colors and the wispiness of the forests. Very nice.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip Final before labeling

OK, this is the final continental map before labeling, placement of roads and borders. This may be the last version I can show, before the completed map and I'll need permission to post.

GP

Name:	commish.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	227.3 KB 
ID:	4355  
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Looks great ... love the mountains ... maybe they will let you post it up if you watermark it .... or otherwise /maim/ it in some fasion ...

Wip I'll sneak one more in!

OK, last peek on this work for now!

The client wanted me to flip the east-west axis of the continent so I did. I've added all the various cities he required, and their names. The green framed areas are independant sovereignties, while the rest of the continent is dominated by the Empire of Edara.

Final WIP for now...

Name:	edara.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	595.4 KB 
ID:	4374  
    DrivethruRPG store

Wip Progress so far...

Unfortunately this for show and not for sharing - its a private commission.

However, all the changes since that last time I posted (flip, additions, subtractions, alterations...) the cities and road system, ruins in the north, dinosaurs throughout wilderness regions.

Its giving me some ideas for my own campaign world.

This continent map is complete! Next a regional of the southwestern lake area around Rocha to Port Bane - adding smaller communities, bridges, cultivated areas, etc. I also working on the preliminary Underdark map.

GP

Name:	edara.jpg 
Views:	661 
Size:	880.0 KB 
ID:	4793  
    DrivethruRPG store

[peers at the upper-righthand corner]

Ooooh! Can I write a book about Andoria?

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast