23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 95.65%
  • Maybe

1 4.35%
  • No...I hate you for even bringing this up

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Create an Object for maps...Perhaps a new type of mapping challenge?

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Sounds good to me. I'm happy to run this as a lite challenge - but I can also see this being a new subforum, with associated monthly challenges. The 'Builder's Challenge'? This means that everyone can chip in - rather than just the people that qualify for the lite challenges.

I like the idea of a monthly "Builder's Challenge"...perhaps the winner receives a "Bronze Hammer"...
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Would it be worth having an associated searchable "archive" on the site so people can browse and use the icons/furniture and such? Tagged by style and genre. A caveat of the challenge being stuff goes into the archive for people to use (with full credit to the author of course). Although I'm not sure how people would feel about that condition.

Just a thought anyway.

But anyway I like the idea and I'd give it a try, although I'm not very good at photo realistic stuff so mine would be more of a sketch style.

I do the photo realistic because I can't sketch. Some people like one style some like the other, both are good.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Weird, I am pretty sure I had posted in this thread, but it seems like my post got washed away in the site's shenanigans...

Anyway, it is an enthusiastic "Yes" on my part... I will probably give it a try myself, although I am no good with these kind of things...

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

This sounds like a great idea! Would it be possible to require that any items posted be freely useable, or at least useable under a very permissive license? That might be the intent anyway, but it would make this contest really good for the community.

I'm in!

cheers,
    Meshon

I love this idea. Definitely something I'd like to participate in.

Would there be any rules/guidelines as to how "original" the objects/elements must be?

For example, would they have to be 100% original (hand painted, made from our own textures, stock photos, etc.)?
    Or could we use other people's resources (stock photos, textures, 3d models, user art, etc.) to create them?

Wondering if there is still interest in this type of challenge...
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Guild Journeyer

I'd be interested. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12