23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 95.65%
  • Maybe

1 4.35%
  • No...I hate you for even bringing this up

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Create an Object for maps...Perhaps a new type of mapping challenge?

Default Create an Object for maps...Perhaps a new type of mapping challenge?

Subject line pretty much sums it up - Idea is to have a challenge where everyone is asked to create a symbol that can be plugged into maps (i.e. Statue, Furniture, Weapon racks, Tools, etc.) Obviously this doesn't fit the template of a "Mapping Challenge", but wondering if there is any interest in having a different kind of challenge each month for this kind of thing. (Hoping i'm not stepping on the toes of the moderators here)

I'm pretty sure they used to do something like this on Dunjinni all the time...but since it seems to be largely defunct, perhaps we could do it here.

I know many folks on here are against "stamping" because most people don't use their own art to "stamp"...so here's an opportunity for people to create their own. It also gives some of us an incentive to learn how to create our own (thinking of myself here) and get feedback from the community. Finally it provides a fresh pool of objects for others to use in their maps (instead of relying on Bogie's generosity)

Thoughts?
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Guild Journeyer

Voted yes. I think this could be an interesting challenge by adding variety, and results could be used as mapping objets.

I often have to create my own settings because I do not find them on Internet (or they do not fit to the style I was hoping). This wouldn't be a problem since I were a good drawer ! So results are often mediocre...

I don't know much about copyrights and so on, on the other way, so if this is not implicit, creators would have to clarify that point before other cartographers use those settings...

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I like this sort of idea, and I think it could work as an occasionally repeated challenge as well. I think that it should be stated in the challenge that the object should be presented in a certain number of variations, be it detail, structure, texture or arrangement (for example, one could offer as their entry 6 chairs of different materials, style and size)
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

I don't see any problem, so I voted yes.

Actually, I'm not sure if you were here by this time, anomiecoalition, but we had something close to your idea in the Lite Challenge, where the participants had to make a compass rose.

If not a new type of challenge, maybe it could be used on shorter periods of time - like february, or when a CL forget to start a new challenge and 6 days are gone - since it is faster than a map to do, considering a common object of course.

Not quite the same, but the first challenge that I won, back in November 2007 was to design a map using Old West symbols, with the real goal of the challenge was to create Old West symbols. I, in fact, created hand-drawn mountain and other objects - over 100 of them. Of course there was only 2 entrants to that challenge, me and RobA.

My very first challenge entry in September 2007 was to create a compass rose - RobA won that with a modernesque compass rose that was eventually used as an Iphone App icon.

Might be worth it to try again.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Good idea! It would help the entire community - at least if the artist decided to share his creation.

Well, my vote should be obvious,,,yes.

When we used this type of challenge at Dundjinni the category topic was usually broad. "Fantasy furniture" as opposed to "Fantasy Couch" Having a wider topic range will get more people to participate. In some cases the topic can be specific if the item is something that is used a lot such as the challenge to make a compass rose. There were a lot of people involved in that one because compass roses are used on many types of maps.

I like Korash's idea that the object be presented in multiple versions, but that there should be a limit ( like 6 as he suggested ). One time at DJ we had a contest to make tables. My ocd kicked in and I posted 35 tables! Kepli kindly informed me of the 6 item limit and I had to delete 29 tables.

Glad to see theres some support for this. I think having a set number of variations is a good idea since presumably everyone that enters is OK with the idea that others can use these objects for non-commercial uses and variety in objects is a nice thing to have. And I agree with Bogie that a broad topic is probably the best way to go.

Hopefully, the moderators deem this to be sufficient interest to run this as a challenge at some point.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

I agree - a yes from me too. Unanimous ! In a way it would make sense to have this running as a somewhat continuous thing where maybe we award people for the best icons on a monthly basis anyways regardless of whether it was a challenge to do so or not. We have had great tree icons, mountains and buildings etc in discreet threads outside of any challenge. But at least to kick it off (or maybe now and again anyways) a lit challenge for that express purpose sounds ideal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast