Thread: My quick lil tutlet on volcanoes and canyons

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Tutorial My quick lil tutlet on volcanoes and canyons

I had promised a mini tutorial (I call it a tutlet) on how I do volcanoes, canyons, and broken lands (Mordor-like) and whether anyone wants it or not, here it is Give it a read and see what you think. It's a small file (for me) at 1.3 megs. The screenshot is at 300% zoom so of course it looks heavily pixellated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tutletn.jpg 
Views:	558 
Size:	876.2 KB 
ID:	4308  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Always a pleasure to read a tutorial from you. I love the one this goes with, Im running through it now... But I dont get anything like your pictures. Mine looks still like the clouds just with a little more contrast, as opposed to the clear black and white of yours (refer: step 12-13). Am I doing something wrong? The only thing Im doing different is the resolution of mine, which I was doing at 4000 pixels/cm which turns to be 9999.999 when you change to dpi instead of dpc.
    Any advice? Im using CS3 Photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by baelzemon_2200 View Post
    Always a pleasure to read a tutorial from you. I love the one this goes with, Im running through it now... But I dont get anything like your pictures. Mine looks still like the clouds just with a little more contrast, as opposed to the clear black and white of yours (refer: step 12-13). Am I doing something wrong? The only thing Im doing different is the resolution of mine, which I was doing at 4000 pixels/cm which turns to be 9999.999 when you change to dpi instead of dpc.
    Any advice? Im using CS3 Photoshop
    Can you post up the largest file you can upload so we can see what the results look like? That may be important to help point you in the right direction.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Err... Cant post any atm, seeing as I have a slow connection right now. It looks EXACTLY like the cloud render, except that the colors are more defined. Its not just black and white, there are greys there as well.
    I have tried 100dpi, 500, 1000, 2000, 4000, 9000, 9999.999dpi - all with the same result. Nada.

Are you referring to step 12-13 of the continent tutorial? I've tried to troubleshoot the process up to that point but can't figure anything out other than not pumping up the contrast to 100 (Image > adjustments > brightness/contrast). Don't touch the brightness, just the contrast.

yes, thats what Im talking about. I try all levels of contrast, and I dont get anything like the result you get, mine just looks like the cloud render

Huh, weird, well then my guess is 1 of 2 things...1) it's something about cs3 (I'm on plain ole cs) or 2) maybe your using the layer style blending option at the bottom where it says "underlying layer"...if you slide the bottom-most slider all the way up you lose the black ring and the layer looks exactly like the original cloud render. But at any rate I have a workaround you might try. Filter > artistic > cutout. Number of levels = 2, edge simplicity = 0, edge fidelity = anything. This will produce something like camouflage in 3 (or maybe 4) shades of gray, so use the select > color range to select one color then create a new layer and then fill it with white. Then rename that layer to "base". Another work around is Image > adjustments > levels = move the black slider to 127 and the white slider to 129 but this leaves a small 1 pixel gray ring around the continents which can easily be deleted.
    Last edited by Ascension; 06-15-2008 at 10:46 PM. Reason: addendum

Been tryin to do this tutorial for a project of mine, but I keep running into problems with the crater...I draw it out, give it the save type of look as yours, but as soon as I merge it down and apply the Lighting Effects, everything looks different. Then when I go ahead and remove the black I run into some problems. My version looks very different by this point...
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me because I get different results too I need to redo this and at least make it clearer but I also think that I forgot a step or a layer somewhere. Show me what ya got and I'll see if I can help ya come up with something usable.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Have a pdf, only 300kB. I'm going to test this one in a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tutorial-volcanoes.pdf