Thread: Island City Map for Modern RPG setting.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Help Island City Map for Modern RPG setting.

Hi, I'm new here. I don't know if it's odd to do a request right away but here goes. I'm trying put together a map of a modern island city-state for an RPG setting I am reinventing. Basically what I want is something clear and concise, depicting districts, important landmarks and main roads. The setting I am looking to reinvent is here with the previous map I had sketched out here. Also, there is my own rough sketch.

Should I end up trying to do this myself, I'll probably end up using Google Maps and clone brushing pieces of Hong Kong and Singapore, which may or may not look good. Likely not.

I want to keep the general look and districts as laid out, but nothing is set in stone. I would also like to be able to have rights to use and reproduce it in the slim chance I decide to make something commercial from it. Since I am new here, if anyone is interested can you link me some samples and quote pricing? My preferred method of payment is Paypal, since it's quick and easy.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

I would even settle for a decent quality outline of the island itself that I can edit. I suppose I could draw it by hand, but it would be nice to find help from someone much better than myself. I've seen some nice fantasy cities, and even that style wouldn't be bad for this. Basically, I want major features outlined. Districts/Neighbourhoods, major roads, maybe major buildings. For that I would leave up to the artist. I'd even forego rights for commercial use, as being able to use it for my games is my priority. Anyhow, thanks again.

Guild Journeyer

Hi Dan, maybe you could give a look at these guidelines when requesting a map, it could give you some good tips on defining your project and also enable people here to consider if they fit to your requisites or not.

Here is the link http://www.cartographersguild.com/ma...e-read-me.html

Good luck with your projects.

Thank you, yes I showed my noobiness by posting before reading that. I did have a response, and got a quote out of him and waiting to see how he responds. It was about twice my budget, but I may just bite the bullet and go with it anyways since it's something I really would like to have available.

I guess since the request didn't work out, I've started working on it myself with the limited tools I have. Hopefully I can make it look somewhat alright.

Hey Dan,
    If you're still interested in someone working on this, I'd be interested in talking over the project with you. I don't have any sort of minimum pay requirements or anything, and would be willing to work something out that fits your budget. I can work in a couple different programs and produce either a raster or a vector image. I can email you, if you'd like, with a preliminary rough draft?

- kes
    Portfolio & Project Blog: 99 Colored Umbrellas
    World Building Project: Worlds of Sand

Ah, sorry for not checking back for the last couple of days. That would be appreciated. I think I can do PMs after this post.

Hey, sorry this took so long! I've put together a rough layout - no color, just placing the key locations and some major roads. I didn't know what scale you were looking at, so this may be totally off, but I can change anything you want. I did sketch in the districts you had on your map and referenced real-world locations for the streets in each section (I left the Academic District kind of blank for now - I was thinking it would be filled with smaller streets that weren't really major thoroughfares). I also wasn't really sure if you wanted a stronger focus on public transportation like trains and subway (and buses?), or if there are a lot of cars, or if this was supposed to be more of a "carfree" type location?
    I can draw in individual buildings once I start setting out the rest of the streets, but I wanted to check on the scale first, since that will affect the buildings. I also left off the docks for now, since they also depend on the final scale of the map. Hope this is looking okay; I was also wondering if you were looking for more of a modern style - like Google maps or Open Street Map style? That was what I was thinking when I started.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mirai_02.jpg 
Views:	3360 
Size:	684.3 KB 
ID:	52956
    Portfolio & Project Blog: 99 Colored Umbrellas
    World Building Project: Worlds of Sand

That does look very cool. As for the scale, I had started to paste on bits of Hong Kong and Singapore but didn't do a lot. What I did ended up looking like this.

Public transportation would be quite common. Cars would be mostly electric, scooters and bicycles. I hadn't even thought about that aspect to be honest. I did kind of imagine the Academic (middle) district as maybe having a ring road around it, being almost a small city within a city. Though that's not written in stone or anything.

The detail doesn't have to be overly realistic, as it is more of a functional map than anything. I'd like to be able to post cropped areas for player reference, so less clutter is better. Though I have to admit, I've seen maps with lots of buildings which are very easy on the eyes.