Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: March 2013 Challenge Entry - The Temple of Saint Patrick of Swayze

Beautiful work! This looks like a dungeon TSR would have published back in the good old days!

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

Yeh, I always made graphical style maps previously using stuff from Dunjinni and RPG Map Share when running my Star Wars campaign as I felt the style really suited and I was completely new to DMing/map making. Did that for 4 years, when I started my D&D campaign 6months ago and started checking out other D&D maps I came across a lot of the old maps and just fell in love with the style of hand drawn maps (which fits into fantasy, dont think it would quite look right in a SciFi setting). Still finding my feet with mastering the style, but I'm very happy with how they've turned out so far There's such a wealth of inspiration in this community as well I've definitely found a different passion for map making than I originally had, using all my own elements instead of graphics other people (like yourself!) have made really lets me say at the end of it "this is a map I made".

That's looking very nice. I particularly like how your walls turned out.

Cheers Larb

### LATEST WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ghost-Dungeon.jpg 
Views:	1526 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	53048

Had a play around today, placed in all my doors and some windows (they still look a little rough until I throw some shadow around them I feel) along with reapplying the quick colour wash (basic block colours) and a few pattern effects here and there to better emphasize the indoor and outdoor regions on this map.

Labelled up every room so I can start finalizing what bits lead to where depending on what route the players take through the dungeon (there's quite a few). Also decided to call the adventure "Temple of Tyrs" as this adventure revolves around the god Tyr from Forgotten realms and lets me use the obvious play on words for Tears, given that this place got annihilated.

Practically every room has some sort of use in the adventure with very few filler zones (either a piece of the puzzle, a clue to solving another puzzle, or an encounter area). The only place I haven't thought anything up for yet is room 43 at the bottom of the map... I'm sure something will come to me

Blog Entries

It's looking really good, Yospeck.

If I had one nitpick though it would be that the background paper texture you are using looks really low resolution compared to the walls and the labelling etc. This becomes especially noticeable on the areas you have coloured with what I assume is an overlay layer. It might be worth trying to find/create a different texture for the background.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Yeh it is (looks hideous with the green on the gardens), I'm still yet to add my spit and polish for the textures and colouring, but this was just the first parchment background I had at hand. The image started smaller then as it grew I just lazily stretched out the background for the time being

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Monastery-of-Tyrs---Final-GM-Map.jpg 
Views:	4985 
Size:	4.51 MB 
ID:	53070

Finally finished, I've pulled quite a few 4am sessions to try and get this finished in the deadline (had done so much work on it in the first few weeks would have sucked to not get it in by the deadline). I have to say I've really enjoyed making this map, it's the first hand drawn map where I've put in this much detail and is by far, in my opinion, the best map I've done both style wise and actual structure for an adventure. For me this challenge was great, getting the shinny medals and stuff is great and all, but actually having an objective and a deadline has really made me push myself to get this done, which is why I love this community so much

Decided to not go for a compass rose in the end given that this place is in the Abyss, I don't think "North" is particularly relevant Though one of the clues/puzzles does revolve around the sun rising in the east, but that's taken care of in the map design/area description.

Anyway, it's now 3:40am so I'm going to go to bed now and post up the Area guide/puzzles tomorrow (hopefully get them in before the polls open).
    Last edited by Cunning Cartographer; 03-27-2013 at 11:59 PM.

Ooh, I like the look of this. Very nice entry Yospeck!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Gracias (ninja edited as I saw I'd accidentally left an old layer turned on, oops )

Excellent work Yospeck!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast