Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Iryth : My second project, a world this time!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

The difference of opacity between the mountains and hills don't make it for me. Also I'm not sur ethat this style of heavy computer generated forests will match the style of the map you're going for.

@ vorropohaiah : Yes your right .. it does cause an inconsistency. I will get them all to match. Thank you

@ -Max- : Having seen your Kingdoms of Kesh work, I am not even in the same league of work. However, the reason for the heavy forests was to simulate the end of the last age, where elves ruled this land and it was completely forested. The current age has significant deforestation. I will look at the opacity of the mountains and hills and have a think about it!

Not a question of same league or not, we all have things to work on and improve, that's why we post in WIP section I don't mind the heavy forests, just the style of trees that looks maybe too computer generated if you go with a more natural old look map.

Some changes made ... Text realigned, hills and mountains are now the same opacity. Some of the deforestation has also been done in this version, showing the advancing human age.

First the same version as before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keflavik2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	721.8 KB 
ID:	54571

and for comparison the coloured version.

Name:	keflavik2colour.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	519.7 KB 
ID:	54572

More deforestation will occur as more nations are added to the map.

Any further suggestions for improvement?

Looking better Though I think labels could be improved more. I'd try to align the outside land ones more together and maybe curve them a bit less. Also is there's a particular reason that the ones inside the lands (cities/towns) aren't straigh? Looks a bit odd to me.

Thanks for the advice on Labelling. I have straightened the labels generally and aligned them more.

Name:	keflavik3.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	723.9 KB 
ID:	54576

and now colour

Name:	keflavik3c.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	527.2 KB 
ID:	54577

I must admit it feels nicer

Any other advice or opinions?

Guild Applicant

I must really compliment you on your work here. Detailed and thought through, I'm impressed by the amount of work you put into climates, winds, etc.

Map is really cool and well made, but as I speak Icelandic (and it's not that different from the Old Norse that Vikings spoke), some of the names don't really fit. Almannafljot and Hnjoska should be located on rivers or in their close vicinity; both fljót and á mean river. Eiriksfjoror doesn't fit as well, unless it's located on a fjord.

I'm not really sure if my post was constructive, but I just thought I'd share my opinion.

Once again, great work.

@ arois : I think your post was very constructive! ... Now that I have some clue as to how the names are constructed I can change the names I have and make sure I don't fall for that again

Thanks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234