Previously I had tackled an island for an roleplaying game I was GM'ing. This time I was going to bite the bullet and try a whole world.

To start with I turned to Fractal Terrains 3 jumped into the World Settings and chose my fractal function of choice: -

RMF with Perlin's Improved Noise.

The settings of choice for me were ..

H (Roughness) : 0.865440011024475
Lacunarity : 2
Octaves : 30
Offset : 20
FGain : 2

Then I moved to the Primary Tab and chose ...

Highest Peak : 32000 ft.
Lowest Depth : -9842.52 ft.

Circumference 13258.6 Miles (about the size of mars)

I left the Secondary, Temperature, Rainfall and Editing as default.

Then using the next world button (f5) .. I started cranking out shapes. I was looking for something that appealed and was not too heavy in the tropical area. The world I was looking for had significant land mass in the temperate zones preferably.

After about 30-40 tries I found a world I liked the look of, you can see it below here, a larger version is attached at the bottom.

It reminded me loosely of our own planet and had a pleasing shape, lots of potential landmass in the temperate zones. This would do nicely.

I then proceeded to add some land to the map and break some of those odd continental links and ended up with the following: -

This was much closer to what I wanted. To add the landmass I changed the editing resolution to Custom 8190 (maximum) with Prescale offset editing turned on.

I then selected the Paint Raise - Prescale Land Offset, set the width and height of the brush to 255 pixels and changed the value to 0.05. This would allow me to gently raise the land I wanted from the sea, I occasionally flipped the value to a negative when/if I went too far. When I got to a point I was happy with I saved my work and moved the resulting file over to a "Keep" folder in case I had to rewind at any point later.

More later ... as we move to WILBUR for the further editing process!

Any comments or critique welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	irythstart.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	52658 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	irythaddland.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	52659