Thread: The Entry

Guild Journeyer

Map The Entry

I've been getting back into some mapping using InkScape/Gimp. This project is the entrance to an underground complex. The main hall includes guard rooms, waiting areas, a ballroom or formal reception space, a checkpoint, and a bunch of additional rooms for staff and waiting supplicants. This is scaled to plug into a roll20 map grid.

I'm pretty happy with this one except for the short stairs leading up to the balcony area overlooking the east checkpoint. I'm not sure they hold up, nor do I think the balconies are quite right.

Critique cheerfully accepted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EntryHall.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	852.0 KB 
ID:	52663

The colours of your map are lovely - I really like your minimalist style. I agree with you that the balconies don't work. How about removing the thick black line (which ought to mean 'wall') at the balcony edge? Once that thick line is gone, the shadows should do the rest (though you also have an odd floor texture in the balconies that seems to not-quite fit).

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    The colours of your map are lovely - I really like your minimalist style. I agree with you that the balconies don't work. How about removing the thick black line (which ought to mean 'wall') at the balcony edge? Once that thick line is gone, the shadows should do the rest (though you also have an odd floor texture in the balconies that seems to not-quite fit).
    Thanks! I've been going for minimal clutter so I'm glad that's coming through.

I came to the same conclusion concerning the thick lines around the balcony area. I'm playing with a fix to that today. The reason the floors look odd is that I set their opacity down to 75% so the lower level pillars could show through. As I said, not quite working.

Edit: And wow, you have a great eye for detail. One of the problems with the area around the balcony is that the pinkish marble texture wasn't actually seamless, and the join line was running right along the balcony edge, causing some weirdness in the floor.

Thanks for the feedback,

Guild Journeyer

I did a bit more work on this over the last few days. I reworked the balcony area, removing some of the edge lines, fixing some issues with the floor texture, and adding a rail. I've also added a bit of floor damage in other areas of the map, which probably need more work. At this point I'm calling this one done. It started as a test project for sizing / grid layout and turned into something more. I'm happy with the results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EntryHall2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	887.5 KB 
ID:	52747

Nice job grunging it up!