Thread: The Town Of Southrun

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Map The Town Of Southrun

This is the finished version of the Town of Southrun. This map depicts one of the small towns along the Fler River in my Kingdom of Shendenflar Campaign Setting. It was done in GIMP

WIP THREAD

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Southrun.jpg 
Views:	409 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	52719

This map and all maps in this series are subject to THIS Licence

Name:  cc lisc.png
Views: 895
Size:  5.2 KB
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

A few things bother me :
    - since the trees are overlapping the houses, I guess it's because they're tall ones : In this case I'd add them some drop shadows the same way you did on houses.
    - some lines are too pixellated (lines on houses roofs, wood fence, pontoon
    - you still have a layer border which probably needs to be erased (just below the first letter "T" on the title)
    - Some shadows on houses roof don't fit the others.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    A few things bother me :
    - since the trees are overlapping the houses, I guess it's because they're tall ones : In this case I'd add them some drop shadows the same way you did on houses.
    - some lines are too pixellated (lines on houses roofs, wood fence, pontoon
    - you still have a layer border which probably needs to be erased (just below the first letter "T" on the title)
    - Some shadows on houses roof don't fit the others.
    Thanks for the feedback. I just now noticed the line you are talking about. Although it's an error I'm not really worried about it as it's not all that noticeable. The roof lines were drawn by hand with a mouse and would never be "perfect". I was looking for a "hand drawn" look. I always have a problem with shadows and I'm sure they aren't perfect but for what I was going for with this map there good enough for me at this point. My maps always tend to be about the "story" inside the map as opposed to strict cartographic perfection. Thanks for looking and for your feedback.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Overall a nice job. I agree with Max about the proposal for adding drop-shadows on the trees though; it would increase the consistency of the map. In addition, I would add that the forest, woods or copse to the north east and along the shore of the river on the northwest are a bit sparse. If you add in several different layers of trees (the top layers overlapping the bottom at some points) and add drop shadows to each layer, soon you will have the simulacrum of a nice wooded area. Oh, and nice job on the hand-drawn houses!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Didn't Neil Young have a song about this, "Southrun Man"? The map is good. I like the docks, and the black border with white text giving more information about the town and ferry, along with a key to locations. Thank you for sharing your map(s) in Creative Commons. And welcome back to posting jtougas.

Nice village map jtougas.