Thread: Gimp: Selection to Path while a layer is selected which is smaller than the canvas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Gimp: Selection to Path while a layer is selected which is smaller than the canvas

Hi guys,

I'm just going mad about a tiny but annoying problem with Gimp.

I want to transform a selection to a path (representing the coastline). Therefore I select the layer with the landmasses, let Gimp select all ocean areas (which is transparent area in the landmass-layer) and then invert the selection to get rid of the marching ants which were surrounding the ocean area at the border of the layer. So I gain a nice selection of the coastlines which I turn into a path.

But since the canvas of the image was increased to make room for a borderline for the map, the layer with the landmasses is smaller than the canvas. Since this it seems that inverting the selection doesn't be enough to get rid of the selection line at the outer border of the layer.

Is there a causal connection between the enlargement of the canvas and Gimp being unable to get rid of this outer selection line?

I'm just trying to resize the layer to fit the size of the canvas, but that's just not the way I want it to be.

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Eld View Post
    Is there a causal connection between the enlargement of the canvas and Gimp being unable to get rid of this outer selection line?
    Yes, if I understand. You have a coast outline and have now enlarged the canvas beyond this, so you get a stroke on the "outside"?

The simplest thing is to hide the outer edge under your frame with a new frame layer on top.

The next simplest is to manually erase the stroke where you don;t want it.

The next way is to use this script: GIMP Script-fu: sg-extend-layer

to stretch the selection before making it a path..... Mini tutorial follows:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tut.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	468.5 KB 
ID:	52793

-Rob A>