Thread: Albion - My First Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Albion - My First Project

Hey y'all.

I am currently working on a map project that is giving me a lot of trouble. I'm creating a custom campaign setting for the Mongoose Runequest II RPG called Albion. Albion is intended to be a fantasy counterpart of England just after the Norman Conquests in much the same way that the Empire in Warhammer Fantasy is fantasy counterpart of the Holy Roman Empire at the dawn of the Renaissance. To this end I've tried to create a large island with a similar topography to the British Isles but different enough to be interesting.

I have been trying to use CC3 and I am not getting good results with it. No matter what I do, I just can't get the hills, rivers or coastline to look right. Another problem is that in order to make the town names legible, I have to create an absolutely massive file.

I've come to you asking for some advice. I have some experience using Photoshop Elements 8 for photo editing. I am seriously considering Photoshop but it would be a major purchase so I want to get some more information about it. Would Elements work? I have also noticed that you seem to be using earlier versions of Photoshop for your cartography. Are those better?

Attached is the current draft of my map in CC3 so you can see how far along I am. I look forward to your advice.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Albion_3_forweb_small.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	52749

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter mbartelsm's Avatar

What do you mean by massive? Most maps I make are about 6-12k pixels wide, another thing that is affecting the legibility is the font you are using, try changing it for another one
    I suggest you use photoshop or it's free equivalent GIMP, earlier versions are certainly not better, however most people cannot afford to upgrade photoshop every year.

I've started working with the GIMP and I already am getting better results with it than I ever got with CC3. Part of my issue with CC3 is that it exports all pictures as BMPs which just looks ugly to me. I think the GIMP will work best for this. I will post new updates as soon as I have them.

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter mbartelsm's Avatar

That's good to hear, I've never really liked CC3 for many reasons, including the bad graphics.

Regarding photoshop: Anything before CS3 is way out of date. CS3 is still totally useable even though they're on CS6 now. If CS3 is still out of your price range, sometimes you can still find the student discount on it. All you need is a college kid to get it for you...