Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP - Northern Bravia - for D&D - 1st map!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Glad that Selvarin's forests inspired you :-) also you should really work on those rivers. Don't want to be rude but they're way too much pixellated for now.
    Last edited by - Max -; 03-13-2013 at 07:09 AM.

Definitely working on rivers. They're really just a sketch right now. I plan on filling them in with some color and creating an outline for them. Nothing has popped in my brain for a solution yet, but that's definitely next on the list. They'll probably change completely.

Great map! The original names are fantastic! I presume the equidistant space between the forest by the northern coast and the line of trees coming from the south is man-made. A bit too precise (unless of course there is a small valley or other morphological reason, of course!)

Thanks, Sepulchrave. Working on forests today. Got my custom brush set done, still trying to make them look natural. The man made look will hopefully be resolved. Any tips on creating natural looking forests? I've set my brushes with scatter and spacing - hoping that will help. Still playing around.

Quote Originally Posted by captive411 View Post
    .Any tips on creating natural looking forests?.
    Draw trees with a natural look ok more seriously, several things can make the forests looks less or more natural : shape, shade/light, edges, trees shapes. What is important is that your forests match the other elements you use on the map in my opinion.

Ok, still not happy, but at least you can see the custom brushes I made for the forests. Not thrilled about the pines, but I'm loving the Bare Oaks. The scattering on the island looks best to me - reworking the mainland trees tonight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	campaign region 1.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	52843  

Thoughts: the mountains look good; rivers are still WAY too pixelated; tree brushes turned out alright, but given the style of the map I think they would look better if they were either black or a very muted green with a black outline; the cloud pattern in this image is very distracting (too much contrast), not to mention it seems to be out of place given the sort of hand-drawn style you are going for. I'd just scrap it and add a parchment background (you can either find a royalty free one online, or make one yourself - RobA has a tutorial on how to do this in GIMP).

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Thoughts: the mountains look good; rivers are still WAY too pixelated; tree brushes turned out alright, but given the style of the map I think they would look better if they were either black or a very muted green with a black outline; the cloud pattern in this image is very distracting (too much contrast), not to mention it seems to be out of place given the sort of hand-drawn style you are going for. I'd just scrap it and add a parchment background (you can either find a royalty free one online, or make one yourself - RobA has a tutorial on how to do this in GIMP).

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Great points, Arsheesh. I agree about the background and I hadn't thought about it till now. My priorities - forest > rivers > background. I'm still experimenting with pine tree shapes before revamping the forest. Hoping to get a good chunk of time to work on it this weekend.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

In my WIP someone said about my forest, cos i was using a lots of mountains close eachother, dense mountains - dense forests.

About rivers i dunno if i am right. I got some cartographers literature and it says that sometimes, in a hand projection of a map, when you have a lots of rivers, close each other, we just draw the most important, like the ones with bridges or where u can ship. And hide the others, one small river that u can pass not swimming or walk for few hours to not cross.
    It Explain coz sometimes u dont see a BIG complex of rivers in a artistic map.
    One more thing. Bravia is a excellent name
    Last edited by aquarits; 03-14-2013 at 07:59 AM.

I'm with Arsheesh about the background. Also the labels need a bit of work, especially The Craggles and The Trivialized Concerns that are badly curved. Nice trees (though those on the northern islands are less good the others in my opinion)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12