Thread: [WIP] Arcantis, the lake city

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip [WIP] Arcantis, the lake city

Hey,

I'm reading once again The Hobbit, and I got inspired by it to draw a city that wasn't built near a lake, but over it, a city built in big wooden plataforms. To make things a little bit different I also decided to make it a WIP post - my first actual WIP post outside the Challenges forums.

In ancient times it was just a little village, built on the ground next to the lake. But after a several number of years - more than a century - the river started to overflow from time to time, making the life there tough. People would have to rebuild houses, plantations, furnitures, etc., just as they would lose many cows, sheeps, and animals in general. After one of the most terrible overflows in their history - when the lake even covered the houses next to it, killing chlidren, seniors, and taking everything from the poor little village - those who were still alive decided it was time to move to another location, or build a village waterproof. Half of them moved, the rest stayed where they were and started cutting trees and constructing high plataforms so that they wouldn't have to worry with the overflows again.

I haven't done much so far, just the plataforms, the land and the bridge. I'm using torstan's tutorial on making cities, so next step will be probably to draw the main buildings of the city. This time I'll try to make everything - except the painting - by hand (what includes the wirtting), I hope it gets nice.

Any criticism, comments, or anything else is welcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02569.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	52775  
    Last edited by Beoner; 04-17-2013 at 03:37 PM.