Thread: [WIP] - Unnamed Global Map

Guild Novice Guild Supporter n8ey's Avatar

Map [WIP] - Unnamed Global Map

Something I started 10 years ago - hand drawn but based off of some ten or fifteen Sim Earth simulations run for ten or twelve hours each:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MapDoodle00001-50percent.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	52778

I plan on working the details later, but I wanted to upload something. As soon as I can either: 1) Find my Photoshop install disc, or 2) Learn Gimp, then I'll be cooking with gas.

Note: I believe my original intent was that land covered both poles, based on some of the small islands scattered around. ('Cause if they're lakes, they look REALLY weird.)

EDIT: Oh, any comments are welcome.
    Last edited by n8ey; 03-10-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Addition

Guild Apprentice

Name:	MapDoodle00001-50percent.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	52784

sorry I needed some color so i popped it into ms paint. I could see developing it either way, the coastline has a nature feel to them. However I believe the top image on looks "more" right. Probably because I am used to looking at maps of the earth. The lower map reminds of Pern.
    Last edited by Sathurn; 03-10-2013 at 09:55 PM.

The lower map does look like Pern... Ack.

I had to look up a map of Pern, just to make sure I hadn't inadvertently copied. Thankfully, no:

Name:	timezones.gif 
Views:	338 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	52787

Update - I've gotten Photoshop installed, and made a re-color to try to illustrate what's land and what's not. I've omitted a few landmasses, and I'm considering expanding the oceans a bit, so this is only a draft:

Name:	MapDoodle00002.gif 
Views:	127 
Size:	503.5 KB 
ID:	52955

I like this - the right side makes me think of the US <-> Russia land-bridge-made-of-ice maps. Having a more solid/permanent "land bridge" is a cool idea, especially if ocean travel isn't really feasible/possible for some reason. Blue for water might help visualize land masses vs. water ^-^
    I also wonder what the poles/pole-areas would look like on a globe - just from this map I'm thinking they'd be kind of "pinched" looking. You could try loading a non-PSD file through the free G.Projector program (available on the forum somewhere) to see what the poles would look like. The program can show the map in different projections, and can even apply graticule lines at different degrees.
    Good luck!

- kes
    Portfolio & Project Blog: 99 Colored Umbrellas
    World Building Project: Worlds of Sand