Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kaidan Archipelago - updated maps

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I use to mix hand-drawn and digital work aswell but some effects may looks too much computer generated regarding the lineart imho. But well, since you like it, I guess it's the more important I'm looking forward to see how it turns with the stuff you still want to add. Afterall it's still a WIP...

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    I like the bevel and emboss effects, what can I say...
    hear hear!

The main island of Anshu along with adjoining isles and islets are complete. I still need to place forests on the northern part, and it will be heavily forested compared to the lower latitudes south. I still have to create Genshu and Yonshu Islands which are pretty big, wider than Anshu though not as long (north to south), along with a dozen or so smaller isles. I will probably be done with all of it by Friday or Saturday, which is a long time for me in making a map. Note, while I will definitely be placing labels and cities, both provincial capitals and large port cities, as well as the imperial capital, but there will be much more as the gazetteer gets developed so I can place more detail locations in the map. Moving right along...

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anshu-almost.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	587.2 KB 
ID:	52852
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Default Re: Kaidan Archipelago - updated maps

that is really remarkable. the blending of hand drawn and computer elements are amazing

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Anshu Island map completed - I added forests (conifers), and labels. Yonshu island next...

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anshu-labeled.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	806.3 KB 
ID:	52855
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Not sure of the chosen colors for the labels and borders...

Thoughts?

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

The orange yellow colour is unusual but I like it on your map since I find it match the style you used on it. The borders are maybe a little too big? What bother me is that borders and labels seems a bit pixellated and have poor resolution when the map itself looks ok.

Well I rescale the map prior to export next time to avoid the pixelization. It's not in the original file. Also though the borders are wide, I need to differentiate the borders from the roads not yet posted. The text also has a halo shadow behind it, that might make it look pixelated.
    DrivethruRPG store

That makes sense Also the effect you put on the labels may reinforce the look pixellated.

As stated, this style of map is not for everyone, but it's my own. After posting this map on my Facebook Page, this morning, Troll Hammer Games contacted me about doing commissions for a world map, a kingdom map, and possibly 37 city maps for their published setting. So, others seem to like the style as well. I've never been one to attempt to emulate someone else's style of mapping, always concentrating on developing my own unique style, which I have - as seen in this thread. Most of my Challenge winning maps also follow this style of hand-drawn and digital bevel composites.
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast