Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kaidan Archipelago - updated maps

Default Kaidan Archipelago - updated maps

I'm beginning the latest version of the maps for the Kaidan island archipelago, the setting of Japanese horror for PFRPG. This will be released as part of the GM's Guide to Kaidan, featured in last summer's successful Kickstarter. While the setting and supplements will be published as softcover printed books by Rite Publishing, I am the creator and developer of the setting, as well as shared copyright.

The largest chapter of the GM's Guide will feature the gazetteer portion of the guide, which these maps are designed for.

Below is the southern third of the main island of Anshu, along with Ryuki island and the Nawa Islands. These are volcanic isles very much like Japan. I still have two more maps for two more thirds of the main island. This is hand-drawn at 17" x 38" then scanned and imported to Xara Xtreme Pro 4, my preferred vector application of choice. Beveled mountains, hills, uplands and the coast, as well as the chosen water color palatte was all applied in Xara. Trying to make the careful effort, this is about 2 hours work, including drawing and vector applications. The next part will be the larger and busier part of the map.

Note: this is terrain only so far, I've yet to place forests and labeling.

Enjoy!

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kaidan-south.jpg 
Views:	669 
Size:	390.3 KB 
ID:	52786
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

The central part of the main island of Anshu - terrain only.

GP

Name:	kaidan-center.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	375.6 KB 
ID:	52809
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Wow, these are nice. I like how you've combined hand drawn elements with the vector beveling/shading and digital coloring; they work well together, and don't clash at all. I admit I was caught when you mentioned Japan (^-^), and so far the maps do remind me a little of Japan, which in my humble opinion is *excellent* ^-^ Good luck, they're looking great so far!
    Portfolio & Project Blog: 99 Colored Umbrellas
    World Building Project: Worlds of Sand

Thanks, Kestrelgrey!

For those who don't know the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror is something I dreamt up as a homebrew campaign setting for PFRPG. So far I've published an introductory trilogy of modules (levels 5th - 7th) called Curse of the Golden Spear: The Gift (part 1), Dim Spirit (part 2), and Dark Path (part 3), along with 3 one-shot adventures: Frozen Wind (which is available as a free download), Up from Darkness, and Tolling of Tears. We've released 3 racial guides: In the Company of Kappa, In the Company of Henge and In the Company of Tengu, and 2 class/faction supplements: Way of the Yakuza and Way of the Samurai. We also have #30 Haunts for Kaidan - a collection of haunts especially suited for haunted Japan. Some time soon, I've got a Map product and Encounter location called Haiku of Horror #1: Autumn Moon Bath House. As mentioned coming in October will be two softcover printed books in a GM's Guide and Players Guide to Kaidan.

You can check all the Kaidan products at DrivethruRPG.com - note GM's Day is still going on, so these are the best prices for Kaidan products throughout the year!

Sorry for the ad blurb, I just wanted to point these out for the newer members...

Although I still make maps for fun, for challenges and for commissions, most of my map making these days are for my own publications.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-12-2013 at 04:58 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Added areas of woodlands onto the southern third of Anshu Island...

More coming...

Edit: I see I left a section of woods in black - will fix later.

GP

Name:	kaidan-south-wooded.jpg 
Views:	411 
Size:	484.5 KB 
ID:	52816
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-12-2013 at 12:27 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Isle of Anshu (center) with forest added...

GP

Name:	kaidan-center-wooded.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	470.1 KB 
ID:	52827
    DrivethruRPG store

So I finished the lineart for the top portion of Anshu Island. Once I scanned it, imported to Xara, I realized that the seam wasn't seamless where this part and the center portion join. So I moved it an inch apart and decided to hand-draw the seam area of coastline, mountains and upland areas. I also found the missing peninsula on the lower left corner of the center portion map - so I can effectively create the island as one piece. Once those sections are done, I'll put the whole together and post here as a single map.

Note there are two more large islands, though both smaller than Anshu, I've yet to create, so that's more work for the rest of the week.

So as not to show up empty handed, I am posting the hand-drawn lineart scan of the top portion, as it is so far.

Enjoy!

GP

Name:	anshu-top-lineart.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	401.7 KB 
ID:	52833
    DrivethruRPG store

Blog Entries

I love your lineart GP. It's beautifully inked, hand-drawn loveliness... so I do have to wonder why you love your bevels so much. A more computer-generated effect would be hard to find. In my opinion they don't gel with your lineart. But I know you use them a lot and I always like your maps so maybe I should just wait until you've finished.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

My thoughts exactly. The drawing is pretty cool but those bevels and emboss effects... :$
    Last edited by - Max -; 03-13-2013 at 05:25 AM.

I can accept the criticism. I've always worked with lineart and bevels mixed. I know it's not for everyone, but I'm both an artist and not a lover of true old school maps. But there's lots more to come. Once I place the forests, the labeling will take over with lots of towns and interesting locations. My style is a hybrid digital and hand-drawn mix.

I thought about doing the map in the style of my original Yonshu Island map using ukiyo-e mountain symbols, but really while isometric mountain symbols also look good. They make placing locations behind them problematic, so I went with top down mountains instead.

I like the bevel and emboss effects, what can I say...

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast