Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: March 2013, Challenge Entry: The Jester's Tomb

The only really bright colors are the ones on the 2 checkerboards. I agree that they are bright, but there is a reason. One set is supposed to represent the colors of the rainbow and the other is Fire & Ice. I'll try toning them down a bit and see if it still works.

I darkened the bright checkerboards, it does look better and still works for the puzzles. Thanks.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JT3a_bg.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	569.7 KB 
ID:	52933

Maybe I'll try darkening the hallways also.
    Last edited by Bogie; 03-17-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

You're welcome. Hurt the eyes less now

This looks like its going to be super fun to play/DM.

Re: All the pretty colors - I often find myself in a similar predicament trying to balance floor tile choices for each room independently and then assessing the overall look of the map. On the one hand, one would assume that just any of us would pick out a floor for the rooms in our own homes independent of what we have going on in the rest of the house - so too would the architects of dungeons. And sometimes you just want a tile for one room that clashes with everything else yo have going on in the house. On the other hand, its cheaper and easier to buy in bulk and have multiple rooms with the same tile (even more true in a fantasy world.) And - it ends up looking better for the overall map when all the tile colors/designs are similar to each other. Doing battle-maps in this realistic style makes this balance all the more difficult to attain.

Overall - I think it looks great and that you've achieved that balance for the most part. The only thing that throws me off a bit is the blue and pink tiles in the bottom rooms. But - if the story calls for it, then the story calls for it...and these are just silly musings from someone who makes maps in a similar style and has been heavily influenced by your work in particular....
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.

I've been playing with the checkerboard tiles ( and a lot of the other ones also ). I found a couple that represent Fire & Ice better.
    Let me know what you think of these:

Name:	jt5.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	431.4 KB 
ID:	52951

Name:	JT4.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	661.9 KB 
ID:	52952
    Last edited by Bogie; 03-17-2013 at 08:35 PM.

This is pretty much the final map, though I am open to suggestions and there is plenty of time to make changes.

I will be writing up all the room descriptions with all the tricks and puzzles explained. There are over 30 rooms and
    about 20 tricks or puzzles.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	JestersTomb_bg.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	52962

I should also Thank Jaxilon for his excellent Joker's Sceptre, it was perfect for the entrance to this map so I had to use it!
    Last edited by Bogie; 03-19-2013 at 08:28 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I would feel bad to be lost in this donjon Nice job!

Hah Bogie, I was looking this over from the thumbnails and said, "Hey! That's me!" Well, sorta anyway, I'm not actually a skeleton yet although I use it for my avatar image.

This is a cool map Bogie.

I want to enter this month but I've been swamped once again, this time with an emergency bathroom remodel (4 days of demo and construction in every waking hour until collapsing into bed after the midnight hour). It's not textured yet but then the relatives arrived. So another week slips past without being able to draw anything. At least the bathroom looks great.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Trying a little darker moodier look by adding heavier shadows.

Hoping to get the room details written up in time, but I am also trying to get my taxes done. Darn real life!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	JestersTomb3a_bg.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	53042

I think it looks better with the heavier shadows. As well as adding more atmosphere it makes the walls look more defined.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast