Thread: Another fresh body

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Post Another fresh body

Hello all! I stumbled across a link to this site on Campaign Builders Guild and thought I'd come and check it out.

Years ago I used Campaign Cartographer (ver 2) to create some maps for my D&D Campaign setting. I had pretty much gotten away from the whole RPG thing for a long while, until I recently got "bitten by the bug" again to start working on another setting. I had long since misplaced my CC2 software so was looking for something either inexpensive (or even better..free) to create maps for my new world. Fortunately I found this site, and here I found what I was looking for...Thank you Cartographers Guild!

I have yet to create any maps for my new world yet, but I hope those of you who are interested in role-playing settings will check out my site (link in my signature). Its still in the early stages, but I'm really liking the way its turning out.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Hi Steel, there are many a Gimp and Inkscape users here - both of these are free. Check out the tutorial section for tips on those. Most of the tips and tricks can be applied to any software package tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Hello all! I stumbled across a link to this site on Campaign Builders Guild and thought I'd come and check it out.
    Welcome to the guild Steel General!

Years ago I used Campaign Cartographer (ver 2) to create some maps for my D&D Campaign setting. I had pretty much gotten away from the whole RPG thing for a long while, until I recently got "bitten by the bug" again to start working on another setting. I had long since misplaced my CC2 software so was looking for something either inexpensive (or even better..free) to create maps for my new world. Fortunately I found this site, and here I found what I was looking for...Thank you Cartographers Guild!
    Inkscape and GIMP are both free. Inkscape is for making vector drawings which scale as you zoom in and GIMP is a raster editor very much like Photoshop as far as general features(PS has somethings GIMP can't do but most of the common things exist in GIMP). Check out the tutorial section as there are quite a few tutorials for GIMP specifically, and almost all of the Photoshop ones can be reproduced in GIMP with a few creative workarounds .

I have yet to create any maps for my new world yet, but I hope those of you who are interested in role-playing settings will check out my site (link in my signature). Its still in the early stages, but I'm really liking the way its turning out.
    Well. get to drawing! Also, feel free to post up your works in progress and ask plenty of questions. If you decide to try GIMP, then I would suggest RobA's wonderful tutorial for creating a regional map to get your feet wet: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1142. If you prefer more of an atlas style, you can try out HandsomeRob's tutorial (though it is in Photoshop I think so you might have a bit of trouble with a few things) : http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1577. And if you like hand drawn mountains, then Hapimeses tutorial (linked to his sight and video to boot!) is nice: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1669. Goodness... I could go on for hours as there are many great tutorials...

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Guild Steel General! Glad to have you here and the others have already given all the good advice so I'll just say welcome and please feel free to comment, contribute and converse.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Welcome aboard my friend!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Welcome Steel General. I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for here.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...