Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palladium WIP

Wip Palladium WIP

Here's the start of another commission. This is being done for a fan, rather than for Palladium Books. I cut my teeth on Palladium as a kid and even though it's been years since I've played it, I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for this game/world. Next update I'll add in other climate zones.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Palladium WIP  Alternate1.jpg 
Views:	973 
Size:	3.81 MB 
ID:	52563  

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

never heard of the world, but its a nice-looking map. i have a soft-spot for pangea-worlds.

Guild Adept

It's for the Palladium Fantasy RPG. I did not actually get to play it much, but it pre-dates Rifts and all that other nonsense that came later. It was a very dark setting. Santa Claus was a demon lord for example. Magic users started out with a very limited selection of spells and summoning dangerous beings in order to learn more was one method of getting access to additional spells. Clerics and Palladins (Paladins) had no inherent powers granted to them by divine beings. In fact, Palladin was nothing more than a title of sorts.

My favorite part was the Wolfen, a race of humanoid wolf people who were organized very much like the Roman empire. Still have those old books in my closet.

As to the map, looking good so far. Looking forward to seeing this one completed.

Never heard of Palladium,

but that's the darkest map I've ever seen. If Palladium is such a dark setting as nolgroth says, I think it fits well.
    I like the way you've realised the rivers.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Ah yessss......A Wolven Diabolist (I am not sure if that is how it is spelt - been that long...) was one of my first RPG characters, and the Dragons were no joke either if I remember correctly. And smart, crafty Kobolds that just LOOOOVE traps...Painfull memories there...

I still look through those books from time to time....

As for the map, NICE! can't wait for more.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Apprentice

Wow! That's awesome. I still have not gotten the hang of doing the mountains in the same way that you do them. Back to work for me!
    Great job and i think it really captures the world itself in a great style!

Wip

Well sounds like at least a few folks here remember this game. Apparently there's still a thriving, albeit small, group of Palladium devotees still gaming in this world. Perhaps one day when I head back to the States I'll see about looking up a campaign somewhere and dropping by for a few sessions. OK here's the latest update: added, to the best of my knowledge, the appropriate climate zones. Course these may change slightly depending on what my client thinks (he's way knowledgeable about the geography of this world). Next up, I'm going to add more specific geographical features, such as the Great Rift and the volcanic activity surrounding Mt Nimro and Mt Nimrod.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Name:	Palladium WIP Alternate 2.jpg 
Views:	758 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	52576  

I have quite a few Palladium Fantasy books, myself. They released a second edition a few years back, so there must still be a decent number of players. I loved the Cthulhuesque Old Ones backstory, and I still go back to those naval combat rules for other games. Palladium also published some top-notch reference material that I try to always keep around. The two weapons compendiums are probably some of the only dead-tree books I'm going to hang onto as I convert the rest of my library to digital. Speaking of which, there are some decent castle plans in the fantasy weapons book; I may dig that out tonight and refresh myself on them.

This is looking like a pretty good start, although I'll probably have a bit more to say when you get to the labels and icons stage. The only critique I have at the moment is that it looks like it lacks anti-aliasing. Maybe that's just a result of a resize, though?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Wip Playing around with alternate styles...

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    This is looking like a pretty good start, although I'll probably have a bit more to say when you get to the labels and icons stage. The only critique I have at the moment is that it looks like it lacks anti-aliasing. Maybe that's just a result of a resize, though?
    Huh, I didn't resize the map, and when I clicked the map link on it I wasn't quite sure what you were referring to, perhaps I'm missing something. So this isn't so much of an update as me just playing around. I came up with an alternate version of this map in a different style. Don't know what the client will think (they requested my Eriond style), so this may not make the cut, but I thought I'd display it for comments and critique anyway. I'm not sure if I've made the "stylized" land glow too bright or not, any thoughts?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Name:	Palladium Alternate.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	52579  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I prefer the sea colours on this one The glowing effect isn't equal quality everywhere though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast