Thread: I come bearing gifts

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default I come bearing gifts

Hi,

I've started roleplaying again as DM and was in need of a map. I used to use AutoRealm for that, mostly because of the nice fractal line drawing.

Now I have a Mac, and it's a bit awkward to get AutoRalm to run. So, I decided to make an app that can make fractal polygons and lines for islands and rivers, that I can export from into another drawing program to do the real work.

You can get it for MacOS or Windows here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/txcy9sog7u7kosj/rsyRZIQyqw or download the source from GitHub here: https://github.com/odhinnsrunes/FractalDraw

It isn't something I want to become a complete drawing package, but just for the specific purpose of more natural looking coastlines and rivers.

If you like it let me know. If you find bugs, Let me know and I'll try to fix them when I can. If you don't like it, let me know what you don't like, but otherwise if you don't like it and don't want to help improve it. Just don't use it.

It's open source, so feel free to tweak it if you like.

There are several color selectors for selecting the working colors and the color of the last item drawn.

You can choose to draw fractal polygons or fractal lines.

Polygons can be used for continents, islands or lakes, etc. Lines can be used for rivers or roads, etc.

Use the space bar while drawing a fractal line or part of a fractal polygon to change it's random shape.

You can undo, save and load FractalDraw files, export to SVG and restore the default colors from the menus.

You can also determine whether the background, polygon outlines and polygon fill are drawn.

Here is a sample of it's output (converted from SVG to JPEG): Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	52920

Here is an example of it's output after being used along with this tutorial: http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...html#post90518

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample1.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	52921

It's my first go at a photoshop map, so be knid.

Looks interesting ! There are a few other software designer here at the guild so you will probably find lots of input and encouragement. Nice first try . There are lots of resources (Tutorials, Inspiration , Etc) Take your time and browse . Post and ask a lot of questions , You'll get a lot of helpful replies ! Welcome aboard!
    Last edited by lostatsea; 03-16-2013 at 03:29 PM.
    "Aye The skies be clear , the seas be calm and the winds be with us .....

ARGH!! but the damn compass be broken!! "

Capt. Noah Swalter Last voyage of the " Silver Crest"