Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lines Off set - Parallel in Photoshop

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

Default Lines Off set - Parallel in Photoshop

I tried to find here something about it. Sorry if have other post with same ask.

This is a way that i found to do parallel lines in Photoshop. i want to know if it is right of have a simple way to do it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by aquarits View Post
    I tried to find in the forum a way to make a off set of the lines. Getting parallel lines of my borders and maybe coz is a lots of topics someone can help me finding other wai to do.

This is the way that i found to do it, i will post in "How do i" to look for more opinions. It took a lots of time to know how to do and made it so simple

Attachment 52942
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	parallel.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	295.2 KB 
ID:	52943  
    Last edited by aquarits; 03-17-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Blog Entries

A problem with this approach is that it magnifies aliasing from the pixels, so your outset lines are all lined up with the raster grid or running along diagonals like on a subway map. That said, I don't know much about Photoshop so I don't know how you would do it properly there. Inkscape's "Outset" tool works reasonably well.

Got it better adding feather before make the work path.

"Select> Modify> Feather"

Yes i tried it too But the problem with this way is that u cant edit the bush form ( or i dont know how to do it)

I forgot to say the reasons that i tried it =/
    Contract/ Expanding way I generated a work path, able to stroke any form of brush, like i did in my picture. That is why i want a parallel and editable line

Cool! I not found anything like this in the forum. Guess it is the way

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Ravells, do you mean "create layer" with the effect? That's one of my favorite tricks—right (mac: control) click on the effect in Photoshop and select "Create Layer" which moves each of the effects to their own layer. It allows you to apply multiple instances of an effect. For example, you could add thin strokes to fat strokes, or multiple strokes, or you could choose to apply your gradient overlay to your original layer (by merging the two) while leaving other effects still editable.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Sorry artearth, just seen this...not sure what you mean! Can you give me an example file to look at? I think I might learn something new here!
    Here's a quick and dirty tutorial on it. I'm using Photoshop CS5.

1.) basic photoshop image - background has the blue water, with the land mass on it's own layer
    2.) apply a bunch of layer effects. In this case, a drop shadow, outer stroke, bevel/emboss and gradient overlay
    3.) In the layer menu, right/control click on the list of effects (not the name of the layer, which brings up a different menu) and select "Create Layers."
    4.) Woah! Any layer effect which affects the interior of the layer (so an inner shadow, inner glow, bevel, overlay, inner stroke) will appear above the original layer using the layer as a clipping mask. Any layer effect which is external (outer shadow/glow, outer stroke) will appear as it's own layer below the original layer.
    5.) Keep playing - here I added an inside stroke to the original layer (thin black line to the inside) and a new outside stroke to the layer "Layer 1's Outer Stroke" which gives me three strokes in a row, any one or more or which I can disable. The original stroke has been rasterized and is no longer editable. I also created a very subtle effect where I used the new drop shadow layer as a mask revealing a cloud render, which would create a slightly less uniform drop shadow.

Hope that makes sense, and is useful. Here's also a use on a retro t-shirt design for our local brew pub (called Short's Brewing), where multiple strokes came in handy, and gave me a chance to play around with the balance and color before committing too deeply.

Name:  shortsretro.jpg
Views: 1941
Size:  10.6 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	createlayersmapping.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	287.3 KB 
ID:	53247

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast