Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: place names?

Default place names?

Do you guys use topographical name conventions like those in the UK; do your names describe the place?

Well, naming locations based on a description is a pretty simple way to do it, which is probably why it's so common in the older countries - it's easy, and it helped people get around when there weren't maps available. "Go to Flattop Hill and turn left" is a lot easier for someone to understand than "go to Elioshai and turn left" - what if the listener has no idea what "Elioshai" is? Hill? Forest? Town? Rock? New countries may "import" place names from their old country, or use (and often abuse) the names already applied by indigenous peoples. "Ohio" is an anglicized form of a Native American word meaning "beautiful river", for example.

The other common way of naming locations is naming them after someone important; "Seattle" (Seattle, WA) is actually based on the name of a Native American chief who lived in the area and negotiated with the white settlers coming in, although obviously the name has been anglicized for easier pronunciation (for those white settlers).

All that being said, I personally prefer to start with a name that describes the place; then, once I figure out what kind of people lives there and whether or not they're "new" residents, I can modify and/or replace names to match the naming conventions of that people.

- kes
    Portfolio & Project Blog: 99 Colored Umbrellas
    World Building Project: Worlds of Sand

Thanks! I think I'll go with compounds, so a descriptive place name as well as the name of the tribal region it belongs to.

Sounds cool; a good way to mix some "cultural flavor" in with a descriptive label that helps people visualize/remember where/what things are ^-^
    Portfolio & Project Blog: 99 Colored Umbrellas
    World Building Project: Worlds of Sand

You can make the naming practices of the people of your setting obvious, with a little repetition. Not even knowing their language, if I see the same suffix or lead word on all rivers' names, I'll get the idea that bit *means* "river". Label some obvious settlement size symbols in the key, say yabba, dabba, and due (big to little) and I'll know when I see a big city name Something-due I'll have an idea that during the tenure of the current language it probably grew from town to city.

That said, a little such goes a long way on a map. No matter how well thought out the language you have crafted, you don't want to force your map user to do a lot of decoding; that'll get in the way of understanding when you were trying to *transmit* information. The extreme case of this is where an entire map is labelled in a ' local script' unfamiliar to the reader. Such winds up being an 'art piece' instead of a functional map; one can glean some from the graphical elements alone, and certainly the *flavor* of the setting can be conveyed... If you really want to do a lot of in-character labeling like that, consider tossing the reader/ players/ users a bone, and "scribbling in" some pronounceable or even real-world annotations. That way you can have the beauty of say the elvish original, but the apt or snarky remarks of the human who took notes can carry whatever info is crucial to the user.

I plan to have an artsy map for myself in the script I made for my language but I'll make one that has the place names transliterated into English. But since I plan to compile a grammar for my language, I'll enclose a map towards the end together with a small dictionary so it'll be easier to figure out the place names and such.

Guild Member Facebook Connected

I like your ideas so far. I'm not really into conlanging, but I could give it a try. My current plan, however, is to use English-ish names for everything on the map, rather than translating them into other languages, real or fictional. The idea for this is to convey to the readers an easily accessible sense of what the places are. However, I'm afraid it will appear that my world is a mono-ethnic British/American place, when it is in fact just the opposite - quite diverse in culture, religion, and practices, but all the names happen to resemble each other. How can I solve this problem?

Personally, I've been long working on a giant pool of names for people, races, and locales for my universe (currently accumulating over 1300) and I've worked certain conventions for different races and their respective cultures.

For instance, the Chal (Humans mildly based off Celtic Culture, and my most well developed race) share some conventions with the Celts (a given) while maintaining many of their own unique ones. Their capitol is Reinwall, based off one of their unique prefixes: Rei-, and the Celtic word Cornwall. They also take some inspiration from their divine masters, the Val, and will sometimes incorporate their conventions (or their names outright) into both naming their children (like Valfast, or Valos) and their towns and cities, like the farming "city" of Seraphim, named after the elite knights of the Val legions, in honor and the hope that they would be protected and blessed as the Chal pioneers ventured so far inland and built up their civilization against all the potential dangers.

Though truth of the matter is, I hadn't come up with that reasoning as to why Seraphim was named that until 7 years after I had come up with it (I started developing my world when I was 10) It's makes perfect sense now. But it hadn't then, especially since the Val weren't really at all divine in nature at the time, or even called Val.

What I'm trying to really get at is that instead of all names having a coded meaning, ask yourself rather what were the circumstances that brought about that name. What was the culture, who in particular named it, what's he like? It's a lot more work, but these are the things that really make it memorable, even if the actual history to the name comes later.

Maybe I just completely missed the point. :F

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For my part I've always tended to name things from first where they are (IE River) and then from the circumstances of their geography or function. My capital city in my homebrew campaign setting is named "Riverhewn" because of the fact that the island it sits on was "hewn" from the two rivers that surround it. I've always preferred "simple" names that can be pronounced although I have been "guilty" of using long and complex names to ancient ruins or anything Elven...
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Novice

In my world, toponomy is still being developed, but a few conventions have already been made:

City Rank
    In the Savrinian culture, larger town get an honorary suffix from the Imperial Population Commission:
    -trivan : town (5.000 - 15.000 inhabitants)
    -jurmos : larger town (15.001 - 25.000 inhabitants)
    -ardan : small city (25.001 - 50.000 inhabitants)
    -muros : city (50.001 - 125.000 inhabitants)
    -van : metropole (over 125.000 inhabitants)
    -irvan : capital (given to the capital)

basic rules
    1. 'Locative town' : Bedbasirvan ==> Bedba (rock) -zi- (loc. sg.) -irvan (capital) : Capital on the rock
    2. 'Gentive town' : Amvaimuros ==> Amva (ancient sea godess) -i- (gen. sg.) -muros : City of Amva

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast