Thread: March 2013 Challenge Entry: Forgotten Crypts

Blog Entries

Default March 2013 Challenge Entry: Forgotten Crypts

Here's my entry for the challenge. Made it in photoshop, took a few days of off and on work. After reading the challenge, I was reminded of the Legend of Zelda video games, as well as La Mulana, both of which are games that contain puzzles and dungeons and maps. So, this map of mine would be very much at home within a video game I'm happy with the way it turned out, but I might be tweaking it at some point. A map like this is truly never done, and I could honestly work all month on it. But, for now, this is the final piece.

Unfortunately I couldn't attach the full size image, so this is a slighter smaller version. All the details are preserved... they're just smaller. Zooming in may help

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Little Labyrinth.png 
Views:	1416 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	52972

Interesting map, looks like it was a lot of work. Thanks for joining the challenge.

Blog Entries

Thanks! It was quite a bit of work. Lots of fine details. As far as backstory goes, it's not too deep. There's 7 different boss monsters. Kill the first 6, and the last one appears directly underneath the trophy. Kill it, and the trophy is yours. I use the word trophy for lack of a better term. The number 7 plays into a few different places in the map, though it's fairly subtle. As far as puzzles go, there's a few traps to be disarmed, and more than a few mazes. It's also non linear. Killing a boss will yield a new item which can be used to access previously inaccessible places

So which boss drops the hookshot? =P

Looks like a good map to me. How much bigger is the full size version by the way?

Nice entry Larion.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Professional Artist Cunning Cartographer's Avatar

I'd love to see some details padded out for this to make the map more functional. For example it would be cool to know what areas are inaccessible without killing which boss (presumably these inaccessible areas are nothing to do with completing the adventure itself otherwise I'd presume you'd end up having to kill them in a certain order, which would make it linear).