Thread: Latitude-Longitude Lines in Inkscape

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Latitude-Longitude Lines in Inkscape

Hi all,

I'm still rather new to cartography in general so please bear with my questions.

Basically, I would like to create a series of maps for a project (climate maps, altitude maps, etc.). I have been doing this by hand, but redrawing/tracing the coast line by hand every time I want to create a new map is tiresome and not very accurate. So, after browsing the forums for a while I think Inkscape would be best for drawing in the continents and land shapes.

However, I would like to draw these in with latitude-longitude lines (10-15 degrees apart), so I know where to place the various climate zones and what not. I can't seem to figure out how to do this at all. This is just on a regular equirectangular map, so it's just a grid I need really.

Also, lets say I have a map drawn on an A4 sheet of paper, and I want to trace it into Inkscape, how would I go about doing this? How could I then scale it up?

Finally, I am currently a student, although only for a few more months. I am considering getting the Creative Suite package, for cartography and general artwork, however even at the discount price, it is still rather expensive for an unemployed student - do you think it is worth buying it now, or perhaps just using GIMP and Inkscape for my needs?

Sorry for the long list of question and any help is appreciated!
    Last edited by davoush; 03-19-2013 at 02:04 PM.