Thread: Old gamer, new here. Hi everyone!

Default Old gamer, new here. Hi everyone!

Hi!
    I am mid-30 year old rpg gamer from Sweden. I have enjoyed drawing maps and such stuff since I started playing about twenty years ago. But I have allways kept to the old pen and paper style. However, about three years ago I started a campaign in Alternity rpg stardrive setting. That made me a bit more interested in creating deck plans and stuff for my campaign. And that looks so much better if it is digital. I have tried some digital drawing in Gimp and MS visio but I have not made smothing i lke yet.

Now I just found this guild and I hope to find some inspiration, tutorials and suggestions of good software to use.

Regards
    Thyliab

Welcome to the forums! Good luck with your maps; I would recommend trying a vector art program like Inkscape (free) or Adobe Illustrator (rather expensive) as they allow you to make very clean lines and you can scale the artwork both larger and smaller without losing any quality. There are a lot of tutorials and beautiful maps both in progress and finished on the forums, so I'm sure you'll find something useful!

- kes
    Portfolio & Project Blog: 99 Colored Umbrellas
    World Building Project: Worlds of Sand

Regarding avoiding jaggies on GIMP/Photoshop created maps - make your maps the same scale you plan to use, don't create a small map and enlarge for big printing, you'll only end up with jaggies/pixelization.

As Kestrelgrey suggests you might look at vector software. Aside from the two he mentioned I use one that costs around $250 that is very powerful and even lets you create maps that emulate what might be created in GIMP, yet still be vector. I use Xara Designer Pro. You can look at any and all of the maps I've created here, all using Xara.

But look through the Software forum and find what is best for you!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Thank you for the tips! I'll look at them and try them out. (At least the free ones, to start with).

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the guild. As mentioned, be sure to check out the tutorials and if make a WIP thread for help and critique while you work
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Welcome to the Guild Thyliab!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Member Facebook Connected Thordred's Avatar

Välkommen.

Welcome to the Guild! We can always use some more sci-fi mapping activity here...and Alternity is one of my favorite systems. Check out that section of the forum: we have some great space and deckplan mappers around here. I've got a few such maps (Star Trek specific, mostly) in my gallery.
    M