Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Still unnamed city

I have a specific place in my campaign world to use this, though I haven't quite decided on its name yet. However, I can easily make it to fit the world building project, and then make it fit my own.

As far as the contours go, I plan on redoing them because I am not quite happy with them. I tried to use the different colors, but I think I might want a little more details on the specific elevation changes.

I am hoping to be able to post an updated version tonight or tomorrow. I have most of the old part of the town done now, but there is still a lot to do.

A new updated version of the map. A lot more areas are now complete. Still a lot to do.

How does the fields in the north look? It was a lot of hand drawing, so if it isn't great, then the effort isn't quite worth it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unnamed City.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	378.3 KB 
ID:	4407  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I'm not convinced by the fields I have to say. It might be worth darkening down the earth background, or even putting in a green background. At the moment they are the same colour as the roads which is a little distracting.

Are you going to add more buildings within the city walls? I was wondering because I see that there is an old keep without any buildings nearby. Surely the old quarter of the city would be around the keep, sheltering under its protection?

Awesome Map.

Could you give me/us a guide through the creation process? I am mad to know how you did this!

There is still quite a bit more to be done. I am almost done with the buildings in the "inner" city. I still have the outer layers to complete.

Both keeps sit on pretty steep rises. The Old Keep was intentionally built outside of the original city walls. It was first built as a lighthouse, and then later as a small castle.

Many years later, a newer castle was built on a hill overlooking the harbor. That was the keep that the Lord Mayor took as his own residence. That is the newer Keep. The Old keep still has the functioning lighthouse, and is the primary fortification for the army. The Newer Keep was not built with as strong of walls as the older one. It is not built to withstand a major siege.

The area that this city is in is called "The Free States" It is a region that was once a powerful kingdom, but it fell into civil war. Now it is a land of city states that often are at war with one another. This city is a pretty big player as it controls access to the Alden River, which barges often use to carry goods up to some of the lands to the north.

Looks really nice! I agree with torstan about the fields. Maybe because they look too hand-drawn compared to the rest of the map.
    About the buildings, did you try to use the line tool with a high width? It lets you give the angle you want and it always gives you right angles.

Here's the most recent update. I now have all of the old part of the city mapped. I am also experimenting with some different colors for the fields. I will have to add more fields around the city as it is complete, but this is just a test of making the fields for now. I might try doing it with some sort of texture instead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unnamed City.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	510.1 KB 
ID:	4468  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Those fields look a lot better. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by landorl View Post
    Here's the most recent update. I now have all of the old part of the city mapped. I am also experimenting with some different colors for the fields. I will have to add more fields around the city as it is complete, but this is just a test of making the fields for now. I might try doing it with some sort of texture instead.
    I like the idea of including fields in the overall composition of the map but I think their scale is off overall... or should vary, and the color should partly match the road/path surfaces (lighter tan) with a vibrant greenish color mixed on the rows...

What font did you use? The city roads and plot/district layout is awesome... very organic and natural. Just curious but what version of Photoshop did you use?

Oh also... don't over populate the city with plots from wall to wall... while that might be more realistic I think it detracts from it visually... and a map is just a representation of 'something' not necessarily an exact copy of the 'real thing'.
    Last edited by CartoGeo; 06-21-2008 at 06:53 AM.

Looks great
    i have a couple suggestions

one: move the granary so that it resides within the walls of the city.
    it would not be prudent to have an invading army living off the city's food stores.

and secondly move the building road and tree layers above the contour layer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast