Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still unnamed city

Wip Still unnamed city

This is a new city that I am working on. It is the first one that I have done totally in Photoshop. I still have a lot of work to do on this, but wanted to post a WIP to get some feetback. Right now the buildings are done in a style similar to the Harnworld maps. I might change that a little later on though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unnamed City.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	306.3 KB 
ID:	4346  

Nice map. I assume the lines are elevation levels? or are they something else? It looks a bit odd if they are as the various colors don't follow the level lines...

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

i like it nice layout

Community Leader Facebook Connected delgondahntelius's Avatar

Yes... I agree.. great map.. I like the layout and the colors... especially the water

Very, very nice indeed. Although I'd be tempted to have the contour lines behind the built objects. As with Del, I love what you have done with the water - gives it a really nice sense of movement.

Man, thats a great looking city landorl! I love the natural form of the layout. Very realistic. Do you hand draw you individual buildings?

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Guild Journeyer

Very nice technique, I like your style! some more info on your methods, would be handy...

For the buildings, I am using the Pen tool to make the box. I use an off white color(a little tan), and I use a layer style - Stroke, black, 1 px, and a 2 px drop shadow.

I am using the pen with the "shape layer" set so that each building makes a new layer. So, to keep it organized, I use a "group" for each type of buildings.

I tried to do it with the rectangle tool, but it will only make right angle boxes (unless there is a way to do it that I don't know). Still, the Pen tool seems to do a good job, but it is hard to get square angles with it!

Landorl, is this city destined for a specific project of yours? If not the CWBP is desparate for cities and I know of several that it would match. If you are intending to use it for something else, then drop by the CWBP and draw us another one man .

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Very pretty, and that is a great colour scheme. No roads leaving the city yet?

I agree with Ravells, the contours are distracting as they are. I originally thought they were roads (as they are the same colour as some of the internal roads). Maybe they should be bleow the structures or dotted black lines, just something to keep them apart. Nice job though. Pretty map.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast