Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: [GIMP] WIP: My First "Real" Attempt at Subterranean Mapping

Thanks!

I found a texture I really like for the walls, but minimum purchase is $20! Gah! I'd pay the dollar for it, but $20?!

Here it is with the watermarked preview: http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/830/a6qv.jpg

EDIT: Ooo... I found the exact same one on Shutterstock, and I've wanted an account there for a long time! I might get one!

EDIT x2: Oh my god! Shutterstock charges $199 a month! Forget that!

Edit x2: No, I misread. It's $199/month for a year, but $249/month by the month! Holy cow! If I were a business that used that sort of thing, sure, I can see paying it. But that's big money!
    Last edited by Sharpe; 07-13-2013 at 07:06 AM.

I got to thinking as I started to add bioluminescent mushrooms and lichen to the area with the mossy floor... Wouldn't it be hard for photosynthetic plants to grow absent sunlight?

You're very welcome, Sharpe. Glad you found them useful.

As for the fungi...as I understand it, bioluminescence is a chemical reaction, so no sunlight required. It's flourescence and phosphorescence where light is absorbed and then re-emitted.

But in a fantasy world, I really don't think it matters that much. The "rules" can be whatever you want them to be.

No, I mean plant life of any kind, which requires sunlight to grow (photosynthesis).

Regardless, I remembered that this is a map of a cavern with crack and holes in the ceiling, so sunlight shines down anyway. XD

Yeah, if you're going for realism and your caves/tunnels don't have any sources of sunlight, the flora will be limited to fungi and tree roots: Cave Flora

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234