Thread: How do you draw - forests?

Question How do you draw - forests?

The title probably says enough, but I'll repeat the question:

How do you handdraw-mappers draw forests? Mine tend to look like wool on sticks, and I only ever seem to be able to draw leaf-tree ones, not needle/pine tree forest.

Here's a map that I drew recently, but I've not yet finished the forests. That's why they are light grey only. Also, I'd like input on how to do "burned out" forest. That is what the needly stuff close to the centre mountain is supposed to be.
    After seeing the help sb else got on his dunes, I was hoping that I could enhance my drawing style with your tips.
    Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	annihilation 13-01.jpg 
Views:	6395 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	53033
    Last edited by Marth Fright; 03-22-2013 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Looks like I submitted an image from Down Under. Fixed!
    If a man walks through a forest - and no woman is near - is he still wrong?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Hey there, I don't know if you're looking for pure hand-drawn advices or hand drawn used in softwares : in PS (or GIMP) you have several options to hand-draw forests. Those I used it either draws indivual ones and turned them into brushes in PS then build forests (examples on some of my maps here and here or do the same thing and use trees as pattern with clone tool ( another examples here and here and a small tut on how doing it here . Also you can directly draw the whole forests with a similar way you started to do (see another example here. Torstan has some useful tips on his thread here for hand-drawn forests too

Hope it helps
    Last edited by - Max -; 03-22-2013 at 09:18 AM.

Well the three most common ways I do it are as individual trees - like the map I posted in this thread.

And then as a general blob of trees as in my regional Kaidan map updates.

Sometimes I even do individual detailed trees placed on my maps.

Here's a style of trees I did for a past monthly challenge - these are hand-drawn with branches for a winter map.

It depends on what style I want to emulate and what scale I plan to create...

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-22-2013 at 06:28 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations