Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP The Sultanate of Sharessan - fantasy map

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

looks nice, and a good map to start a discussion about the formations of oasis. I notice some in you map but still dont have idea how it get formed since no rivers feeding.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Oasis are formed from underground rivers or aquifers such as an artesian aquifer, where water can reach the surface naturally by pressure or by man made wells. Oasis are kind of artificial since people keep vegetation and culture in there by doing irrrigation works.

Here is some update with cities, towns, kraks, caravanserais and more regions labelled. Also added the Sandjak's borders.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sultanat de Sharessan7.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	53112

Looking great so far! I like the palette and the fonts you used.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looking awesome, man. This makes me wish the tech from the Matrix was real, so I could download your talent.

The only quibble I have is that the map looks a bit... not 'unbalanced' exactly, but as if some of it got cut off from the left side. It may be due to the way that large north-south mountain chain is laid out, along with that big lake right next to the edge of the map; it makes the eye lead left, and BOOM no more map. Does that make any sense at all?

Thanks Aeredhel and Diamond. Come on Diamond, you have great talent in cartography. Your maps were the first ones that I loved when I came to CG and inspired me in some ways by the way I think I see what you mean but I don't know if I can do something about it now...Maybe it means that I'll have to map the west of the Sultanate one of these days :-D

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yes! By all means map the rest of it...

Wow, this is looking awesome so far. I especially like the way the mountains are done. You said they were 'CIA shaded relief archive' but I'm not sure I understand. . .

Really love this so far

I'm with the others, this is an amazing piece of work. I'm especially impressed with the mountains and the mountain ranges. QQ: Are the mountains not tall enough to "catch" some rain from the eastern winds? I can see that you've added some rivers on the western sides, so they must catch some - so shouldn't there be some more vegetation along the source of the rivers?

Seconding Diamond, map the rest of it...right now!

On a more serious note - awesome map, Max. I looove those mountains, and your symbols are once again top notch.
    And can i just say, i am baffled at your productivity...you put up maps in a ridiculous speed. And not just any maps, no....really beautiful maps. You're a mapping god
    Please continue....
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast