Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP The Sultanate of Sharessan - fantasy map

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

nice fonts and good use of words and sounds that evoke the character and climate very well.

i'm not sure if its the downscaling to upload the image but the river labels are near illegible. assume its the resizing, though the could be a bit bigger.

The current coast is much more fitting. *(how did you get the broken line on the outermost waveline?)

EDIT: and could you please add a scale-bar to at least one of your maps! i hate not knowing the scale
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 03-30-2013 at 07:54 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Thanks much all you guys!
    @ Bookowl: I used some shaded relief art of our real world made by the CIA for the mountains and the relief, playing with several blending modes, hue, saturation and colors to match what I wanted to do.
    @ Christie: due to the very high level of water evaporation, maintaining vegetation around rivers is also because irrigation systems that people set up there so it zlso depends on level of human settlements.
    @ Vorropohaiah: yes rivers labels are kind of illegible at 50% size. I'll show some zoomed in area at 100% to check if it's ok. The broken line on the waveline was just made with a soft round eraser. And scale is planned btw I did have put a scale bar on my last maps, at least Selvarin, Kerngard and Lorn (not sure about Green Havens)
    @Diamond and Eilathen: I'll may map larger map including the Sultanate one day but I would have to do several maps and then put them together since my computer won't handle such a big size in one file. By the way Sherassan was just intented to be a re-try and a practice map using the shaded relief at the start :p

New update : added border, compass and nomadic tribes shields. Also here's a sample at 100% size where you can see rivers labels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sultanat de Sharessan8.jpg 
Views:	1155 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	53169

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rivers.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	326.7 KB 
ID:	53170

Max, that's not just good, but scary-good :-). I always liked a2area's meticulous stitching of real aero/satellite topography - now your version looks as good yet somehow more achievable. Any tips you can give us on how you do it would be most appreciated.

Guild Apprentice

Max,
    can you advise how you did the outline of the coast - i mean the coastline against the land effect?
    I love this map so far by the way.

Smithy

thanks jb but some artist guy from CIA do most of the job drawing the shaded relief Like I previously said, I used this art mixing some reliefs, playing with several layers with different blending modes/saturation/contrast and colors to get what I wanted to do on this map. Then I did the rest of the work mostly to have that oriental feel I wanted for the sultanate.
    @ Smithy : it's basically easy : select landmass, expand it a fews pixels with feathering, fill the selection with some browncolor on a new layer, select it and reduce a few pixels with feathering again, then set the layer to overlay. Repeat with the other coastlines (making them thinner than the first), setting them to luminosity 70% opacity. On the last one I just grab some soft round brush and erased some parts. I also added a grey blue layer underneath the 3 coastlines layers (by the same process of selecting land/expanding and feathering - a larger way this time), blurred it and set it to multiply at 50% opacity.
    Oh and thanks
    Last edited by - Max -; 03-31-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected aquarits's Avatar

Omg. omg!!!
    I a loving this map, specialy coz soon i want to try something like a desert. The amazing thing in this map is:
    Other desert maps sometimes dont have much details, maybe coz desert most of times just have dunes and oasis. This map shows a lots of details looking full!

So sad at this resolution cant read the name of the rivers. I dunno if you will do, but some symbols in the ocean will be nice... and WTH is that compass?

I want
    to do
    something
    like that!

Thanks Aquarits! Yes I did have labelled the ocean and there's also a cartouche with title and key.

Yes, I'd like to be able to get my world map looking something like this as it looks fantastic. The colour scheme is the kind of one I prefer as well.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

love the border and compass rose - they really impress the middle-eastern influences. nice stuff

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast